XR400 front fork cartridge tool

I thought I'd ask here if anyone has built their own tool out of PVC. If so, you mind posting a pic and specs? I do not have air tools to spin the bottom nut off and my hand ratcheting has ripped a seal so now one of my forks has dropped all the oil. Thanks for any suggestions!

I made one out of 1" black iron pipe a foot long. I ground one end to leave two little nubs to grab the cartridge, and welded a wrench handle to the other end. 1" PVC will likely work too.

1" pipe doubles as a press tube for removing/installing steering stems in triple clamps.

The end looks like this:

08-0223-2T.jpg

JayC

Here's one I made from a section of vacuum cleaner pipe......sorry dear!

94acbac0.jpg

I made my own as well using these instructions from thumperfaq.com.

You now need a damper rod holding tool. Take a flashlight and look down inside the fork tube to get an idea of what the tool should look like. You're going to be making a castle nut remover basically the female version of a +. Go to home depot and buy a 1" piece of black gas pipe. Take a grinder and shape the end of the pipe to fit. Be careful and make be sure to do a good job in shaping the business end of the tool (and the tool will work for years). Once you've shaped the end you can drill 1/4" hole through the other end of the pipe so you can use a screw driver to hold it in place when in use.

Insert the damper rod tool into the top of the fork and get hold of the castle nut (have someone else hold it in place. Insert a socket drive allen key into the base valve (where you adjust the compression damping) and remove the base valve. Remove the guts of the fork and you'll be left with nothing but the inner and outer tubes stuck together.

250, same official tool from Honda

my homemade version is just a piece of pipe, actually a cut off plastic broomstick,

even without the edges, works fine

How wide and deep are the male parts of the the tool that engage the cartridge? Also, when I looked at the cartridge tonight, it looked like there should only be 2 male pieces in the tool...are there supposed to be 4?

Posted (edited)

I've made a post on how to make a tool for this search for XR400R Damper Holding Tool

Edited by David Boone