Sign in to follow this  

Stock "X" valves

I have been on this forum since '08 when I ditched my 525 EXC for an "X". If there is one continual issue it seems to be stock valves. I was aware of this, and I was, (and still am) prepared to replace them when it was necessary.

Well, last night, at 287.5 hours, I did my second valve check, and - they are exactly where they were when I bought the bike (at that time, I replaced the cam with an "R" cam, but later removed it because it made the bike harder to start, and, for Baja-type dual sport, the bike already has lots of jam!).

I thought this valve experience story should be told, because there seem to be a lot of needlessly paranoid "X" owners out there.

For x-country, I have an '12 KTM, but for every other type of off road, it is Honda for me, all the way!

El Mur.

I have been on this forum since '08 when I ditched my 525 EXC for an "X". If there is one continual issue it seems to be stock valves. I was aware of this, and I was, (and still am) prepared to replace them when it was necessary.

Well, last night, at 287.5 hours, I did my second valve check, and - they are exactly where they were when I bought the bike (at that time, I replaced the cam with an "R" cam, but later removed it because it made the bike harder to start, and, for Baja-type dual sport, the bike already has lots of jam!).

I thought this valve experience story should be told, because there seem to be a lot of needlessly paranoid "X" owners out there.

For x-country, I have an '12 KTM, but for every other type of off road, it is Honda for me, all the way!

El Mur.

I got to 300+ hours with the left intake getting tighter and tighter, but I never shimmed it. I just waited, and finally did a complete top end job.

As soon as it gets harder to start when hot, it's time to shim. Shimming lasts only a dozen hours or so, so I just skipped it and did the full job.

LEFT INTAKE (severe cupping)

BillKrannie019.jpg

RIGHT INTAKE (mild cupping)

BillKrannie020.jpg

mines at 320 hours and its time for a valve job, ordered KB intake only valves