Sign in to follow this  

shock for XR250R 86

what other years or models shock

will fit an 86 XR250R?

am in need of a working shock

thanks

fiep

I have a XR650L shock in mine to support my add girth... The spring just clears the frame.

I also use the XR650L's forks in XR600R(w/XR250R stem) trees and the shorter XR650L lower suspension link. :busted:

The link is about 1/8" shorter and raised the back about 3/8". It also to helps stiffen the suspension slightly. 🤣

A 120/100-18 rear tires added height increases the rear height to match the increased fork length.

Now I can increase it's tight woods ability noticably by lowering the forks some. :smashpc:

Total seat height gain was 1".

👍

absolutely correct, 4strokeridertt

my 98 and my LC have both ends (re) built by our local suspension wizzard

but

with this bike I have no immediate plans on riding it myself

it may become a buddy bike, it may end up on craigs list, I may eventually beef it up and turn it into a mini sumo

so I need an affordable, working shock

the only shock offered so far was without spring, with a busted adjuster knob and too expensive for 'unknown history'

Have your stock shock rebuilt. Buying a used one is just putting another worn out one on your bike.

A good shock rebuild and revalve will give you a shock that works better than new.

just a quick question. what kind of cost is attached to a shop rebuilding a rear shock? i have same bike as original post. my shock isnt blown but, im a fat dude so rebuilding is an option for me. just looking for a ballpark figure. thanks

reccon it depends who does the work,

what they charge for labour and parts

earlier this year I paid 370 for shock and forks

but I did not need springs,

at 170 in full gear I resemble the manufacturer's average rider

Shock rebuild is likely to run $125 - 250 for parts and labor to make it work like stock.

Maybe add a $125 if you need (should have) a different spring and some revalve done.

Call around the different shops. Find some local racers for some recommendations in your area or ship it to someone good.

I use Hlebo Bros Racing Suspension in San Jose CA. (408)623-3121

They did my 250 shock back in 99 and I could not believe it was the same bike.

John reworked the front and rear on my new KTM and made a very noticable difference.