Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Crikey!! My bike died on me...

Recommended Posts

A little long - please bear with me...

After performing Dave's Mods (de-snorkel, K&N, 55/160, 0.031 washer / shim for the needle, 2-1/2 turns out on the fuel screw) my bike had been running like a dream - great throttle response and lots of power. The following weekend I thought I would experiment with some of the stock muffler mods I had read about here on this forum. I was thinking about getting a 1-1/4" perforated stainless steel pipe, fashioning a larger insert, and drilling out the end cap. To get things started, I ground off the two little welds with a Dremel and removed the screws and the stock baffle slid right out. I also removed the clean-out plate underneath the pipe at the tail-end of the muffler.

I took the bike for a test ride and wasn't crazy about the sound with the baffle removed. Also, the bike didn't feel as if it was quite as responsive. I then remembered I had forgot to replace the clean-out plate. After re-installing the plate, the sound was even worse and had a pinging tin can sound to it. Took it for another test ride and the bike ran pretty much the same - good but not great. By then I decided that I was happy after all with the sound and performance of the stock muffler configuration.

Put everything back like it was. Since I was close to tripping 1,000 miles and figured the bike was thoroughly broke-in by now (I had also changed the oil and filter and adjusted the valves at 600 miles, per the Owner's Manual), I took it for one more ride. I really got on the throttle this time just to see what it was capable of, and when I shifted into fourth I felt a loss of power as I let out on the clutch. The bike recovered, but did the same thing when I hit fifth and then started to splutter. I immediately switched to reserve since I was getting close to empty, and the spluttering continued with loss of power until the bike died. After that it would turn over but not fire up.

Do y'all think I might have fouled the plug?? Any chance the needle widget came loose?? I'm pretty sure the flow of fuel is good and the carb is attached securely. Any recommendations for changing any of the mods I have listed??

As soon as my new thin-walled $24 spark plug socket arrives at the local Honda shop (since nothing else I have will fit due to the ridiculously-tight tolerances !@#$%), I plan on installing an NGK DPR8EIX-9 Iridium plug.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer. That will be a little more involved than simply swapping out the plug. Thanks for the input, pwrpapa.

I remember a couple of guys on here stating they had to reduce the outer radius of their washer to ensure that it fit under the head of the needle properly. When I shimmed my needle and replaced the widget, something in the back of my mind told me the widget didn't lock completely into position. Guess I should have double-checked. They say your first impression is usually the right one.

Anybody else have an opinion on this??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I finally got the chance to work on my bike this weekend. I pulled the carb and found that the needle widget had indeed come loose. This time around I paid better attention to what I was doing upon re-assembly to ensure that I pressed down firmly to fully depress the widget spring, and then rotated the widget so that the ears were completely underneath the retaining tabs. Should be good-to-go!!

I didn't get the chance to fire it up yet because I am still in the process of switching the stock tank to a new Clark 4.7 gallon. Today I applied a set of Factory Effex graphics to the tank (looks good!!), and tomorrow I will install the petcock and also an in-line fuel filter for a little added insurance and then get the new tank mounted. I took the advice of Dave and Paul over on 4strokes and fabricated a couple of steel 1/8" x 3/4" tank stabilizers. I tested it out and the mount is rock-solid. No side-to-side play whatsoever.

As soon as I get things wrapped up I will post some pics. Thanks again to so many here on this forum who provided all the great advice and information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, I finally got the chance to work on my bike this weekend. I pulled the carb and found that the needle widget had indeed come loose. This time around I paid better attention to what I was doing upon re-assembly to ensure that I pressed down firmly to fully depress the widget spring, and then rotated the widget so that the ears were completely underneath the retaining tabs. Should be good-to-go!!

I didn't get the chance to fire it up yet because I am still in the process of switching the stock tank to a new Clark 4.7 gallon. Today I applied a set of Factory Effex graphics to the tank (looks good!!), and tomorrow I will install the petcock and also an in-line fuel filter for a little added insurance and then get the new tank mounted. I took the advice of Dave and Paul over on 4strokes and fabricated a couple of steel 1/8" x 3/4" tank stabilizers. I tested it out and the mount is rock-solid. No side-to-side play whatsoever.

As soon as I get things wrapped up I will post some pics. Thanks again to so many here on this forum who provided all the great advice and information.

I love bike porn lets see some pics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...