Sign in to follow this  

TRUE top Speed of CRF450R

Okay there is obviously a lot of talk about how fast your Honda CRF450R goes... But I'm looking for PROVEN FACTS.

What is the ACTUAL top speed of a stock CRF450R with STOCK gearing?

Where is all the this special talk taking place about "top speed"? I have not seen it except for once in a great while here on TT when someone asks the question.

This seems to happen about 1 in 10,000 posts so I wouldn't say that there is "obviously" a lot of talk about it. In fact, it seems that there obviously ISN'T much talk about it at all.

Most people it seems could care less unless you are flat tracking your bike in the mile.

I'm with you. Top speed is not talked about, and really has little to do with the design of these bikes.

If you wan't "proven" facts, you should be able to calculate the top speed based on the gearing and the circumference of the rear wheel. It would take a bit more information, but look it up. It should be fairly easy.

Take a look around on google and you'll see plenty of "opinions". There are a lot more people with 450's than are just on this forum. It's obvious that you don't do much research before forming an opinion. I could care less to prove anybody right or wrong, usually the ones with the biggest egos are the least talented.

The reason I asked is someone JUST TODAY replied to one of my threads saying their 450 goes 85 miles an hour with a 13/48 sprocket combo and I have a hard time believing it.

I run 13/48 gears and top out 5th all the time where I ride and it just doesn't seem anywhere near 80 mph but I might be wrong so I'm asking.

I have an 08 CRF450R, no pipe, cams or whatever, after market sprockets and chain with stock gearing (13/48 I think) and I have had my GPS clock me at 130KM/H.

Now, when I say GPS I mean my iPhone with a free GPS speedometer app. It seemed to be pretty accurate in the car. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I could get it to read faster by holding it pinned for a while because in the car I noticed a pretty notable lag in the speedometer reading. When I went for the ride I forgot about trying to record my top speed but I did have the bike pinned in fifth for at least a couple seconds.

Also when I went fifth pinned I was on pavement and it was flat ground.

We run some drag races with our bikes in the flats. 1/8th mile or so. 14/48 gearing, 92MPH with GPS. 13/48 is about 86MPH. 13/50 82. The speed calculators are in theory. Tire slip, wind resistance, clutch slip. Not bragging, we just have a ball with trail, mx and in general screwing off.

my buddy clocked me with his car yesterday.. 08 crf450r 13/50 gearing tops out around 87mph

I have used my droid phone and went down the road and back and the top speed on the speed app was 75mph. This is on the road, 215lb guy, and 13/52 gearing.

Back when it was with stock gearing I'd say it was close to 90mph

I've tapped out in 1 hare scramble this year. 75ish feels a hell of a lot faster when coming out of the woods through a field..:smashpc:

I as others have no interest in seeing top speed I cannot ever hit top speed with 13/48 in the kind of racing I do. There are way way to many variables that people don't think about..

1) air density

2) bike tuned right

3) rider weight

4) worn out tires (lighter)

5) top end new or not

6) pipe or full system exhaust

7) gearing

8) wind

and more

9)

Okay there is obviously a lot of talk about how fast your Honda CRF450R goes... But I'm looking for PROVEN FACTS.

What is the ACTUAL top speed of a stock CRF450R with STOCK gearing?

72.3 mph

what are you going to do ? desert racing? high speed road runs?

put in a larger counter shaft & a smaller driven sprocket & it should be

able to pull 100 mph, there is certainly enough power on tap.

Take a look around on google and you'll see plenty of "opinions". There are a lot more people with 450's than are just on this forum. It's obvious that you don't do much research before forming an opinion. I could care less to prove anybody right or wrong, usually the ones with the biggest egos are the least talented.

The reason I asked is someone JUST TODAY replied to one of my threads saying their 450 goes 85 miles an hour with a 13/48 sprocket combo and I have a hard time believing it.

I run 13/48 gears and top out 5th all the time where I ride and it just doesn't seem anywhere near 80 mph but I might be wrong so I'm asking.

Maybe those people outside of this forum are more your speed? Get it? Speed? HAHA :smashpc:

Like I said... Those who have nothing better to do than talk out their ear are usually the least talented riders. Go waste your energy somewhere else newbie

I found the information you are talking about on google. These links may help you out:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-40486.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081206231818AAIkudZ

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dirt-bikes-quads/93773.htm

Good luck with your search for high speed, and it's unfortunate that you took my joke seriously and became angry.

i have seen my gps say my max speed was 79. stock gearing on an 08

Thanks, seems to be right around what most people are saying.

👍

I'll let you know tomorrow what a Kx450 does with stock gearing. I know it's not the same bike, but I bet it will be within a couple mph either way.

I've been wondering myself. My friend and I occasionally ride some logging roads in my home town, and we're basically flat out in fifth 90% of the time. I'd like to know how fast we're really going.

I'll let you know tomorrow what a Kx450 does with stock gearing. I know it's not the same bike, but I bet it will be within a couple mph either way.

I've been wondering myself. My friend and I occasionally ride some logging roads in my home town, and we're basically flat out in fifth 90% of the time. I'd like to know how fast we're really going.

Sounds good man come back here and let me know 👍

They ALL obviously haul some serious ass but I'm the same way, it's nice to have an ACTUAL idea how fast you really are going.

The trails I ride I spend a lot of time in 5th gear but I never know for sure how fast it really is :ride:

2010 Kx450f, totally stock. 86.3mph on gps.

2009 Yz450f, full Ti 4 exhaust and jetted, 86.7mph.

Edit, Kx rider was 235lbs, yz rider was 185.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

plug in the gearing (13/50 for earlier crf450 and 13/48 for later..) This is theoretical, but with stock gearing im pretty sure this bike would have no issue pulling to the rev limiter. Where gearing "theroy" won't work is very high speed on street bikes, take an R6. Even with a very well built "raceable" motor, it won't pull much past peak hp (14,200rpm) let alone rev limit (16,000) with Daytona gearing (17/43) unless your in the draft.. due to the wind resistance. Thus you can't plug in to the table 18/40 and expect to go close to 200mph