Sign in to follow this  

talk me into a YZ250

so ive been riding an 01 YZ250F for the past few years. great bike, does everything i ask of it. i ride everything but sand. i ride track when i cant find friends to hit up the trails and desert, and when i do go out to the trails i just swap over some tank and armor on the bike and ride. so its been a good all around bike for me.

i was looking to upgrade to another bike i hope i can do this with. i fell into a 03 kx500 for cheap. well it definitely has more power, but to the point i will probably kill myself at the tracks out here or i have to tip toe it all over the place, and same with single track. this really is an open desert bike.

the last yz250 i was on was an 85 so i have no comparison to modern 2 strokes. hows well does an 05+ YZ do it all? i know these bike probably have no issues on the track, what about single track? is it going to be a bull in a china shop like the 500? or does it handle it pretty well?

i know the best solution would be to keep both bikes, use the YZf for tight trails and tracks, and the KX for desert, but i dont have the funds to maintain and setup 2 bikes.

id also like to hear the "i should have got this.....because of this" stories.

thanks for any info or advice you got

The YZ is a great bike for all around. It can do both Track or Off road well when setup properly for each. It can do both but obviously you have to sacrifice some things to get it to do both at the same time.

I ride my YZ250 in the trails, and i prefer the MX setup. To me, bikes that are setup for trails are typically heavy, and not as fun or snappy. I don't ride track at all, but i know someone who does, could jump on it and hit triples if they wanted to, and probably do it quite well, and at the same time, I'm very happy with how it performs off road.

Don't expect it to wind out as high at the YZF. I get bored pretty quick on wide open trails with it, cause it's pretty much 5th gear right away.

I have a '05 yz250 and love it to death...

Cheap to own and ride.

Rode the 2011 desert 100 and finished w/ no problems.

Raced 4 2011 harescrambles on it... muddy and tight single track.

Ride in the cascades on super tight and steep single track, it rips.

Take it to the track and I am only held back by my own ability.

Parts are reasonable and available.

With the right gearing and setup it is indestructable.

M

My best friend is riding an '03 weekly and still has the same plug he bought it with 5 years ago. Jetted right they will last forever...

I bought mine for $2000. And its got everything on it but a rekluse...

Go buy a new one and in 10 years you will be thanking me.

It also has a wider rear rim than your 250f so really there is no comparing the two...

Luke

4 stroke:

top end= $200+

change oil every 5 tanks gas

valves need constant attention

need special tools to work on top end

2 stroke:

top end $100-150 max

gear oil....change every 10-15 tanks of gas

no moving parts above the head

almost the same cost to split cases and rebuild as it is to rebuild top end and head on 4 stroke

way more fun to ride

the choice should be easy

I rode a YZ 250 as a trail bike, mostly stock for quite a few years only as a trail bike. It is quite capable in all situations and is not a bull in China shop, it has good low end and a ton of snap when you need it. However if you are anticipating on riding some slow, very technical and tight single track you will want to swap out your front sprocket before the ride for 1 tooth less, otherwise you may find that you are spending much more time with the clutch lever in than out.

Even in stock form it is capable on the trails, it is really light and nible which is nice on the trails and if you adjust the clickers for a more trail friendly setting you can ride for a long while without to much fatigue.

If you are only riding trails I suggest going with a bike built for this purpose, I bought a 12 Berg 300 and am much happier on it than my YZ. But if riding track and trails than the YZ would be a perfect choice.

crf450ish - as far as thats concerned i know im getting a 2 stroke of some sort, just trying to find a good, reliable, and do it all kind of bike. with my YZ250F it has been a lot of work to keep up on everything and making the bike last as long as it has. so cost wise, it is no contest. i know im riding around on a ticking time bomb with the 250F.

burton167can - good info, one day i hope to have the ability to have a bike dedicated to each area i ride, since they can be drastically different setups. but til than whatever bike i get is going to have to take the abuse.

burton167can - good info, one day i hope to have the ability to have a bike dedicated to each area i ride, since they can be drastically different setups. but til than whatever bike i get is going to have to take the abuse.

Then the YZ is 100% the right bike for you, I did a lot of maintenance on my 04, it is a really easy machine to work on and own, never once did I feel that the bike or any of the componenets were unreliable or sub-par in quality.

Good luck enjoy the bike, I know I did!

best 250 ever made

engine pulls forever....in the sand its a beast

i love it

just never ride a 250f again cus they feel like slow pigs after ridin a yZed for so long....

The yz's are excellent all around bikes. They can be set up to do any one thing really well or do ok at many different types of riding. Mines is set up for technical singletrack and is good as any dedicated trailbike IMO. I came off both a yz250f and wr450, my smoker works much better for me. The 250f didn't have enough lowend for the tight stuff and would flame out way to easy. Jetting it was always a PITA on it. I liked the 450, but it was definitely a pig and didn't really match my riding style. IMO, 2 strokes own the tough, technical trails.

Let's see. You have a decade old YZ250F and you're concerned it's a ticking time bomb???? Really? Well, I suppose it is if you don't maintain it meaning new valves and seats, new cylinder and head, spring, timing chain, top end, crank, etc. A decade old smoker with same ammount of hours would need similiar attention but less parts/cost no doubt.

250 two strokes are fantastic bikes for all but flat out desert racing. I recently picked up another and I'm happy but my secret is that I'm keeping both my YZ250F and my CR250. :smashpc:

dont get me wrong, i take very good care of my bikes. otherwise the 250f wouldnt have made it this long. this is not a time bomb because of neglect, its a time bomb because at some point it will need a complete rebuild. its the nature of the beast, stuff wears out. whether its because of some sort of failure or just because its getting tired it is going to be way more than i could afford and want to pay, and will be out of a ride at that point. like i said before, if i could i would have more than 1 bike. that is just not an option for me.

It could be depending on what you are doing with it.

I had one and rode it in open trails, tight trails, and on the track.

On the track and in open stuff it was awesome. I HATED it in tight trails.

The YZ250 is a very, very good off-road trail bike with a few simple mods. Power delivery is indeed very "4 stroke" compared to the older two strokes. It has a very broad powerband. Not a lot on top like my 2007 KX250 but that's really not what you're after.

I'd say the only thing I'd want on my YZ is electric start, fuel injection and a sidestand for some days. But the 95% of the other days it is a great bike. No bull in a China shop.

I went from never riding to dirtbike(only atv's) to buying a 01 yz250 in late July. I won't lie, my first couple days riding were beyond scary. But now, I'm loving it in the tight technical stuff and even the open yuke coal roads. 13/49 gearing is amazing for me. Once you throw a leg over a one of these machines you'll be questioning why you didn't get one sooner.

I went from an 08 YZ450 to a 99 YZ250 and have to say I like riding the YZ250 better. It is a lot more work, but it is also a lot more fun to ride. I ride desert out here in AZ, which includes a ton of single track as well as 5th gear pinned sand washes. FWW I am running 14/48.

dont get me wrong, i take very good care of my bikes. otherwise the 250f wouldnt have made it this long. this is not a time bomb because of neglect, its a time bomb because at some point it will need a complete rebuild. its the nature of the beast, stuff wears out. whether its because of some sort of failure or just because its getting tired it is going to be way more than i could afford and want to pay, and will be out of a ride at that point. like i said before, if i could i would have more than 1 bike. that is just not an option for me.

Not a problem. Many put 250Fs in the context of the very minute you start it - it's going to explode! :smashpc:

Was saying that the YZ-F lasted you (or others) a decade. That ain't bad!

Look up my report after riding most of the '11 Yamahas. The YZ250 was the best for me. 👍

Im all for the yz also. I love tight harescarmble, hill climbs, and running full bore. Not really a mxer, but the bike runs great on the track. I have a wr450 that is like driving a dump truck through the woods compared to the yz250. I have a crf250r that is like riding a small truck through the woods. My CR125 is like riding a buzz saw. Over all the yz will do it all and well. I am running a rekluse and 13/50 grearing.

I love my YZ250 in the coal regions of PA!

Have a 99 YZ250 and previously rode 250f's (KTM specifically). 4stroke easily more controllable though lacks the thrill factor at times. KTM's are known for more power than other 250f's and was probably a faster rider than on the 250. Just love the 2 stroke too much for power, maintenance, and thrill to go back. Plus the 2stroke will most likely make you a better rider, atleast did for me. Have to ride more aggressively with added throttle/clutch control.

I really can't talk you into a yz250, but I'll do my best to talk you out one.

I bought mine over a year ago, since then my house has gone to shit, my truck is crying for attention, my dog has gained weight laying since I'm gone so much.

This bike steals all my free time and I find myself at the track from sunup to sundown many weekends. 👍

Get the yz if you want to have the a blast every time you throw a leg over it.