Sign in to follow this  

Tons of gas in the airbox )-:

Happened first when I trailered it:smirk: and I figured it was a time to do some overhaul of the BST and had a Pro cycle kit on hand so I took it apart, put it back, fired up in the garage, fine although started with a full throttle. Next day (today) didn't want to run right, died, spewed some smoke, took another bike. Came home an hour later and I had left the petcock on res and there way a puddle under the bike and an airbox (and probably crankcase) full of gas, cups full. So I am presuming my float needle isn't seating allowing all that to just run into the carb and everywhere else. Is that the logical assumption? If so perhaps I didn't get it back together right:banghead: Anything else I should look at? Is had been running fine, just up in Colorado and trailered it back home when it became an issue.

I would suspect a worn needle or a bad needle seat O-ring, or both.

After the carb is repaired be sure to change the oil and filter before you even attempt to start the engine.

Replace your fuel line with one that is compatible with ehtanoled fuel. The ethanol mixtures in our fuel will detiorate the stock fuel line causing little black gummy crumbly pieces of rubber to mix with the fuel. Will cause starting issues if the bike sits for extended periods such as the winter months. Good idea to disconnect the fuel line and drain the float bowl if the bike will sit without being ridden over the winter months. Ethaonl sucks.

Update

I replaced the float assembly and after one false start got the float correctly set, and that solved the flowing gas issue. But it still ran erratic which I suspected was the choke assembly. It was partially broken off just outside of where it threads into the carb and that allowed it to move around creating motor insanity. I replaced the assembly with the Procycle remote choke assembly getting rid of the stock cable. My hoses are fine, my bike never sits so thhat isn't an issue. It's a 98, just got tired and dried out, all seems well now. Thanks

Id go ahead and buy the BST rebuild kit from ProCycle. The 2 float assembly o-rings did the trick for me.

That is what I started with but then had to get the full float assembly. With the new choke assembly most parts have been replaced. I took it out for a 10 mile ride today and it all seems good now. May need a minor screw adjustment, I'll check the mileage but throttle response, idle, power, all seem good.