Sign in to follow this  

Pennsylvania Bike cleaning question

I'm posting this for a friend.

He spent the weekend riding in PA & now is looking for a way to clean the coal dirt off his bike. He said he tried Simple Green...no luck. Any ideas I can pass along to him? Thanks.

It should not be that hard to wash off, even on white plastic. Unless he fell and ground it in. Coal is an organic mineral compound, and a degreaser (simple green) won't cut it.

I tried one of those magic erasers on my kids bike, and it looked good for a while, but it made the surface of the plastic rough and the dirt started to get ground in. Now it looks terrible.

It is much harder to get coal and clay stains off of your riding gear.

Edited by gsa102
more stuff

Most of it shoud just hose off. Otherwise I use regular car wash and a brush to get dirt and coal soot off. If it's real bad, try the purple Super Clean stuff, that takes anything off, but make sure you rinse the bike really good afterwards

my last 3 bikes have been white and i am very picky about how clean they are with that said i use magic eraser and dawn dish soap and my bike looks like new after every ride, i have been using the magic erasers for about 4-5 years now and have never had a problem with then messing up the surface of the plastic

They sure seemed to dull the surface to me. Maybe the plastic is old, or I had too much dirt on them. I was going to get him new plastic and decals for Christmas anyway.

WD40 in a spray bottle? Just guessing. It works for anything I need to remove.

Of simple green won't do it I'd try Oxy Clean, that stuff cuts dirt off my airfilters to like new with just a dunking.