Sign in to follow this  

Transmission Oil Change

So I just did my first oil change on my 09 CRF450X after break in. Taking everyone's advice, I put a full quart of oil in the transmission. Due to the fact Honda fixed the trans issues in 07, this did make me a bit nervous. I bought a quad once and the guy over filled the oil. BAD, BAD experience. Even though I know the engine oil and trans oils are separate, it still makes me a little un-easy.

So I just did my first oil change on my 09 CRF450X after break in. Taking everyone's advice, I put a full quart of oil in the transmission. Due to the fact Honda fixed the trans issues in 07, this did make me a bit nervous. I bought a quad once and the guy over filled the oil. BAD, BAD experience. Even though I know the engine oil and trans oils are separate, it still makes me a little un-easy.

The max capacity of the transmission is 1.2 qts. Honda specs .789 qts. We run 1 ltr which is about 1.05 qts.

You are fine.

The X is not as suseptable to over-filling as say a XR650R or a DRZ400, both of which will blow a seal if you over fill them.