Sign in to follow this  

transmission oil change?

i have a 2002 honda xr100r and it seems to be grinding gears. someone told me to try changing the transmission fluid, so i bought a liter of the MTL 75wt extra lite transmission oil. i dont have a manual, so i was wondering where/how i change the oil? also, the clutch cable has a lot of play and seems to be adjusted incorrectly as it seems like its still in gear a little bit when the lever is pulled in. could this be the problem? any suggestions would be appreciated!

The 100 doesn't have a seperate compartment for transmission oil, it shares oil with the engine.

If you're clutch isn't properly adjusted it could cause some issues.

can i change the oil and put the MTL fluid in? will it work better because its designed for transmissions? the last oil change was about 5 or 6 hours of ride time ago.

can i change the oil and put the MTL fluid in? will it work better because its designed for transmissions? the last oil change was about 5 or 6 hours of ride time ago.

No...

Do not use the 75W gear oil in your engine, per your Owner's Manual you need to use an engine oil. I and others have had very good shifting using Shell Rotello in our engines and transmissions. Go to Walmart and buy a quart of Shell Rotello T 15W-40 or T6 5W-40 oil; your clutch and engine will be happier.:smashpc:

No...

:smashpc:

Find a bike shop or auto parts supplier: I agree with dirtbkr188; "Bel-Ray EXL 10W-40 will work just fine."

If you can't find Bel-Ray, any 4 stroke motorcycle oil that meets JASO T903 or JASO-MA 2 or specification (will be listed on the back of the bottle) will do.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9022114&contentId=7040925

Castrol stuff is $5 a quart, have ran it for years and never had any issues. There's a handy 'where to buy' link on the above web page.

As per ACDNate, adjust your clutch as noted here: Back off the adjustment at the clutch lever so that the cable is as slack as possible (back off lock nut all the way, thread adjuster into the perch). Adjust clutch lever free play at perch after adjusting clutch.

XR800051.jpg