Sign in to follow this  

Broken toes - Cheap boots?

I just started ridning about 3 years ago. Bought some "cheaper" Thor Quadrant boots back then. They seem to fit pretty well (size 12). I don't think I would be comfortable going down to a size 11.

My problem is I've broken both my big toes this summer. The first incident this spring was on a very dry, slick track. On the gas, the back end kicked way out then when it caught my inside foot somehow went toe first into the ground. Kinday chalked that one up to a freak accident. Then this past weekend I came up short on a double that I hit in 3rd gear. Bike didn't pull like I was hoping (should have hit it 2nd gear pinned). I cased it, bounced, landed sideways and went over the bars. Somehow, I'm guessing I kicked the ground on landing because I broke the toe on my other foot.

Now I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with my boots, their fitment, or what else? Maybe they are both just freak accidents, but I just haven't been around long enough to know. Any help would be appreciated.

yep cheap boots. I have 2 pairs right now, a higher end pair of Gaernes and a "cheap as ****" pair of Fly Mavericks.

The Mavericks look the part - but i wouldnt trust my feet in them off road. The Gaernes are beat but still offer better protection.

Im never buying a boot that's initial msrp is less than 200$ again (Mavericks msrp was like 107, got them for 89 - got what i paid for)

Helmet and boots. Most important gear items in the bag :smashpc:

yep cheap boots. I have 2 pairs right now, a higher end pair of Gaernes and a "cheap as ****" pair of Fly Mavericks.

The Mavericks look the part - but i wouldnt trust my feet in them off road. The Gaernes are beat but still offer better protection.

Im never buying a boot that's initial msrp is less than 200$ again (Mavericks msrp was like 107, got them for 89 - got what i paid for)

Helmet and boots. Most important gear items in the bag :smashpc:

+1

I would have a busted foot right now if it weren't for my Gaernes.

Can you move your foot front to back inside your boot? It could be that your foot is able to move back adn then when you kick something your foot can jam forward. I think of it like a car and a seat belt. If you are able to bounce around inside the car it doesn't matter how strong the car is your still going to get destroyed.

+1

I would have a busted foot right now if it weren't for my Gaernes.

🤣 one day, I took out a 4"x4" wooden post w/ a "SCHOOL BUS STOP 500FEET" w/ my right foot when i washed the front out on my supermoto blitzing through a corner 👍

my Gaernes are literally the ONLY reason i still have a right foot :smashpc: "walked" away with some bruising only....

the pole couldnt say the same.... let me see if i can find a pic of it - basically 7inches from the ground, i cut the thing in half w/ my foot. :busted:

To be honest it really doesn't matter what boot you're wearing. If you hit your toes hard enough they WILL break not matter how much you spend on boots. I have broken my toes a few times with high end boots (Alpinestars & Fox F3's). I have a big toe and pinky that will not bend anymore.

Keep your toes safe as possible and they will be happy lol.

IMG_0180.jpg

^ :smashpc: truth! but proper fit and engineering DO help. I think i had a broken "middle finger toe" after the bus stop sign stunt, but 1 broken toe > an amputated right foot 👍

broke 2 toes in tech 8's if you hit them hard enough there gonna break but it woulda been much worse with cheap boots. with boots and helmets i tend to go higher end

broke my left foot with a pair of oneals, Went out and got me a pair of tech 8's. Pretty heavy but offer a ton more protection

I have broken my left big toe twice wearing Alpinestar Tech 6's and this past weekend in my new pair of Gaerne SG1's I stubbed my right big toe hard enough to discolor the toenail, but after 1 day it wasn't even sore. I don't know if some people are more prone to toe injuries, but I seem to be.