Need help-input on some vintage dirtbikes

Hi, I'm new to the site and pretty much a newbie as far as vintage dirtbikes go.Was hoping to get some info on 2 bikes.I was going through my mom's garage and stumbled across 2 vintage dirtbikes I rode as a kid (i'm 30 now) .both im pretty sure are close to all original and were running-rideable when parked.one I believe is a 1976 yamaha yz80, the other I believe is a 1976 suzuki jr50. Just was curious if either of these were worth anything.I was thinking about cleaning them up but wanted to know how to go about this. Should I keep both as original as possible.I dont have any kids to ride them unfortunately so ill either keep these around my garage with my old cars ive restored or sell them and let someone else enjoy them.i'll work on taking them outside and uploading some pics of them.

On the yamaha 80 I managed to find the following number on the engine case:598-002588

I found the following on the frame of the JR50:

JR50 103287

Hopefully that may help

YZ80 is 1976 you may get $300 to $400 running

On the JR50 sound like your really later made 1978 not the early made 1977 $200 to $300 running

Edited by shspvr

Whats the best approach ? Just clean everything as is? Or completely

disassemble the bikes and prep/ repaint everything the exact same color it was originally? I have a friend who works at a paint and body shop.one of his guys does side work for cheap .ive never done one of these so i dont know the best outline as far as step by step to redo one

Whats the best approach ? Just clean everything as is? Or completely

disassemble the bikes and prep/ repaint everything the exact same color it was originally? I have a friend who works at a paint and body shop.one of his guys does side work for cheap .ive never done one of these so i dont know the best outline as far as step by step to redo one

That depend on what type you want to do back to a 100% originally restore state this use cost more.

Frist I try get the motor runing if runs bad it may rebiuld it then go from there by disassemble and just clean everything and replacing or repair what need be done and repaint what need be done

On old bikes that been sitting it wize idea to just replace all cable and brake pad, chian and sprocket and fuel line and any hose with new ones and overhaul the carb with new seal.

Google

Restore Motorcycle Originally

How to Restore a Motorcycle Originally

Here good one

http://www.ehow.com/how_4460636_restore-motorcycle.html

There more out there

Just clean them up, maybe a new seat cover and grips, some paint and lots of WD 40, polish, etc. The yz 80 has some value, but in the Seattle area, which is a pretty good hot bed of vintage/evo racing, neither is selling well currently. The YZ makes a nice pit bike, but I'm partial to the brand, so my opinion may be a little jaded. I've seen a few pretty nice, running early JR's not selling lately for 350-450 bucks. Spend as little as possible, but repair or replace the worst of the aged/broken parts, even if you have to find used.