Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ250F Rebuild questions.

Hey Guys,

I have a 2006 YZ250F that needs a rebuild thanks to my brother, He decided to ride it the other day without asking, and the bike had no oil in it and as a result the motor is now seized. So anyway on to my question, since everything will more than likely need to be replaced I was looking at stroker/big bore kits. I can not seem to find any real information on them, I just read though a thread on here about them and I honestly still don't know a thing more than I did when I started reading. I realize the YZ250f is a high revving bike and that adding the 3mm crank will probably affect that, I was planning on having the head ported and adding some hotcams to help it breath with the larger displacement. I ride this bikemostly in the woods and in open pasture land, and sometimes I do ride it a few miles on the highway between my house and the farm. So what are your guys' oppinions about this setup? Any input would be appreciated.

You better get it torn down and evaluate what the damages are before you plan on any mods that are expensive. If the lack of oil took out the head and cams, you're looking at possible $1200 in parts.

Now it is possible that just the cams seized, but without oil, any bearing surface is suspect. So first I'd just pull the cam caps and see if that frees it up.

I saw one that a guy had revved on the limiter and seized it. The rod was welded to the crank.

I understand what you are saying, I have not had the chance to tear into it, I realize that there is probably some extensive damage that is why I was looking at doing a stroker and a big bore, because I am assuming that everything is destroyed, I figured it would not cost any more to go in that direction, as opposed to putting everything back to stock. Also are you saying I would have 1200 in repairing the head and cams alone, because that sounds really high to me

well to be honest your cylinder and crank might be fine. The most likely thing that happened was that your cams tore into the bearings on the head which means you will probably need a new head. As far as price it depends on how cheap and where you get it from. Cams themselves are about 300 for hotcams. Heads are usually about 400 depending on where you find it(eBay is a good place to look). Hopefully the main bearings and crank didnt go or you have a lot of work ahead of you...as far as your piston it will probably be ok but this is all just hypothetical and you will have to tear into your bike to really see what it needs

Can't tell you much on the stroker but the 290 big bore is absolutely worth it!! Lukesracing.com sells the stroker/big bore kit at a pretty good price.

http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LR&Product_Code=BBSYZ310F&Category_Code=BBKITY

He also has a good price on Hot Cams too. Stg 1 intake and stg 2 exhaust works really well with the big bore

Well I've got two of you guys telling me to pull the cam caps so I guess I will try to do that tonight, if I do that and the it frees up the motor, what should I do next check the compression?

If it frees up I would probably replace rings anyway depending on the last time you changed them or to at least get a good look at them. And while your there throw some oil on the crank because im sure its dry. If it is still stuck just keep moving down the line by pulling the head off then the cylinder. And hopefully you dont have to go any further than that...

how do I know for sure if the bearings are good? I guess if it spins freely and does not feel "rough" does that mean they are still good?

check slop in the bearing. you can pull the side cover and go up and down on the flywheel. If there is any slop at all they most likely need replaced. Also check the rod bearing by pulling up and down on it. There shouldn't be much play there if any. but like you said if you feel it binding it will need replacing too

I have been looking for a head, and I was wondering if there are any differences between years? Because I found a pretty nice one locally that is cheap but its off a 2004.