Sign in to follow this  

Radios for Desert Riding

Hey guys,

Ok I've been through a bunch of threads here and I am confused. Bottom line is what should I buy for the best reception in the Desert. Is a 2 meter better or regular VHF?

Any recommendations on Radio brands?- So far I am looking at the Vertex HX370 and the Yaesu FT 250R. What is the difference in these radios if any?

Thanks in advance!

I have been riding with a group that uses radios and I just recently took the plunge myself, although I have yet to use it. Here is what what was recommended to me and what I went with:

Yaesu FT-270R radio with the CT-91 mic adapter

I ordered both of these from http://www.hamradio.com/

For the helmet kit the Baja Designs unit is a proven choice https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-650001/Radio%2c+Helmet+Radio+System

This should get you going, now you just have to talk your buddies into a radio too so that you have someone to talk to. You may also want to ask some questions in the

450X section, there are some pretty knowledgeable dudes over there that can elaborate on what I've said :smashpc:.

2 meter is VHF.

"2 meter" usually refers to the 144MHz amateur band, where "VHF" is usually applied to business/commercial/emcomm services in teh 150MHz area.

Licensing is kind of a big deal there. There's the license-free MURS band at 154MHz, some business radios can be programmed to those channels. While not as busy as FRS, you'll pay a lot more for the radios.

HAM is a great option... As long as you're not using it for business use (even for comms at an organized race might be questionable), it allows you do to quite a bit of radio work with plenty of power.

Tough to go wrong with VS/Yaesu. Both the same manufacturer, VS is the commercial side, yaesu is their amateur side. Biggest difference is the type-certifications... while the commercial radios may meet mil-spec, they don't spend the money to get the amateur radios certified... same radio, way cheaper. Firmware in many of them is also the exact same - there's a few inputs to the CPU that are either tied high or low to enable or disable features in the radio.

Please tell me you guys are licensed HAMs?

Why?

I'm trying to understand the "license" requirements for HAM in a wireless era? Seems to me to be a candidate for the "booby" award.

Why?

I'm trying to understand the "license" requirements for HAM in a wireless era? Seems to me to be a candidate for the "booby" award.

Not familiar with amateur radio eh? I just read someone was considering using 2-meter like it was for public unregulated use or something. People who have no idea what they are doing and operating illegally on 2-meter may be blocking or stomping all over a repeater input . It happens and regular offenders often end up with a record and hefty fines. Amateurs love a good fox hunt too.

Booby awards should go to those who don't know what their talking about, no?

Not familiar with amateur radio eh? I just read someone was considering using 2-meter like it was for public unregulated use or something. People who have no idea what they are doing and operating illegally on 2-meter may be blocking or stomping all over a repeater input . It happens and regular offenders often end up with a record and hefty fines. Amateurs love a good fox hunt too.

Booby awards should go to those who don't know what their talking about, no?

Although I've never been a HAM guy, my father was a forest ranger in NE Washington for many a year, and I grew up with one in my living room. I have a working knowledge of some of the equipment, and after many years of being around them...I agree with my Dad. Dust collectors.

So go after folks that 'bother' you on the airwaves. It's not exactly rampant social disorder. I don't see it as much different than talkin on the cell phone while driving. Not sure what purpose most of the free HAM frequencies truly serve anymore in the U.S. Seems to be just recreation.

You're entitled to your opinion(s) that's cool. HAM is still very active especially 2-meter and many licensed operators and clubs have a great deal of time money and effort tied up in repeater networks. To have thoughtless, flippant illegal operation keep it from working properly? Shouldn't happen. That's my only point. The government created the FMRS band for those who want communicate via 2 way without any knowledge, licensing, etiquette, thus no power or range. FMRS is a mess, Amateur bands are not. Licensing requiring testing, and enforcement are the reasons.

CDMA is the way of controlling it IMHO...more repeater towers. Big Brother...you know the drill.

It's just my opinion, but licensing I think just restricts the masses and creates a cult. Communication in the outback shouldn't be restricted to a few, and shouldn't be so hard to obtain.