Sign in to follow this  

Is a 18/22mm offset ok to use with a 2010 frame?

So KTM gives me a new frame but it's a 2010. I'm looking at their offroad catalog and see a warning stating that 2010 frames require a 22mm offset or the possibility of tire exhaust header collision exists. Has anyone run 20mm offset triple tree on their 2010 bikes?

Going from a 22mm to an 18mm offset would put the tire/fender just about 4mm closer to the exhaust header. How much clearance do you have now with the 22mm offset? If it is more than 4mm then the swap should be OK. I'll bet that you would prefer the steering with the 18mm offset.

I guess I didn't explain everything. I have an 08 which developed a crack underneath the frame near the head tube. KTM was good about it and got me a new frame but, they obsoleted the 08 design. The 08s came with the 18/20mm offset triple tree. In 2010 the 450s came with non adjustable 22mm offset triple clamps. I know they also welded the head tube ~1/2in higher to make the bike turn better. When KTM's offroad catalog stated that only 22mm offset is to be used with 2010/2011 frames, it now has me wondering. I don't want any inadvertant front wheel snags!