Sign in to follow this  

cr500?

okay so i have my 2002 250exc right now and want more power. i have the oppertunity to trade for this cr500. here is the link to the craigslist ad: http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2591704784.html

straight across trade. should i do it? heres my bike: exc.jpg

Happy riding!

oh and im a 6'3 rider 240 pounds and i am a hillclimber/trail rider. if that gives u better input

odd frame to use, it's gonna vibrate your nuts off, I would inspect the welds really good

That 500 does not look nearly as clean as yours. I've seen better ones for sale but you might have to pay a little more for it. The back tire looks worn out, the 97-99 frames suck, and the 500 motor in that bike looks like it might come from an older cr because the cases are black. Transmissions do get loose after a while. It may be fine...check it out if the harsh ride from the '99 frame wont bother you.

odd frame to use, it's gonna vibrate your nuts off, I would inspect the welds really good

do you think i should do it if the welds are good?

That 500 does not look nearly as clean as yours. I've seen better ones for sale but you might have to pay a little more for it. The back tire looks worn out, the 97-99 frames suck, and the 500 motor in that bike looks like it might come from an older cr because the cases are black. Transmissions do get loose after a while. It may be fine...check it out if the harsh ride from the '99 frame wont bother you.

yeah i cant throw in any money. its a 1993 engine. but yeah there are hardly any cr500s on craigs here in idaho.

Check the welds and frame really good .......

You will like the 500 motor

Guys do the 1st gen frame conversion because it's the easiest. The motor drops in with only the addition of the front engine mounting tabs and a modified head stay. Then the underside of the fuel tank needs to be shaped, and different tabs welded on the exhaust pipe and muffler. I built one with a kit from a guy on CR500 rider, took a weekend. All the later frames need the downtube cut out and modified to clear the pipe.

The bike was ungodly powerful but the chassis sucked- super wide at the footpegs, stiff, turned like crap, the list went on. I got rid of it pretty quickly. If I was to do another AF conversion, I'd do at least an 02 or later frame, probably an 06 and up CRF250X. Suspension is TONS better, frame ergos is better and it's easier to get parts on later CRs and CRFs. The 1st gens are kind of a dinosaur. I'd pay about what a decent stock CR500 costs for that one, $2000 and not a cent more.

okay so i have my 2002 250exc right now and want more power. i have the oppertunity to trade for this cr500. here is the link to the craigslist ad: http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2591704784.html

straight across trade. should i do it? heres my bike: exc.jpg

oh and im a 6'3 rider 240 pounds and i am a hillclimber/trail rider. if that gives u better input

IMO, you are trading a superior trail bike for a dinosaur MX bike. First off, that CR will vibrate the hell out of you and the suspension isnt close to the quality of your current bike. What are you going to do with all of that power on the trail? If you were riding dunes, I would understand, but I dont get it.

Ive met a guy that rides a CR500 on the trail and he hauls a$$, but he would haul a$$ on any bike because he is a really good rider. Most everyone in our group agrees he would be faster on a 300 EXC, but some people are set in their ways.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy a newer KTM 300, have the cylinder and head worked by Eric Gorr and you would have a much superior trail bike. Just my $.02

IMO, you are trading a superior trail bike for a dinosaur MX bike. First off, that CR will vibrate the hell out of you and the suspension isnt close to the quality of your current bike. What are you going to do with all of that power on the trail? If you were riding dunes, I would understand, but I dont get it.

Ive met a guy that rides a CR500 on the trail and he hauls a$$, but he would haul a$$ on any bike because he is a really good rider. Most everyone in our group agrees he would be faster on a 300 EXC, but some people are set in their ways.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy a newer KTM 300, have the cylinder and head worked by Eric Gorr and you would have a much superior trail bike. Just my $.02

nobody will trade for a 300exc or xcw. :/