Sign in to follow this  

Help with the impending winter pls!!

I have a 2012 KTM 250sx.

It is my first brand new bike I have ever owned. Naturally I want to take good care of it. all my other bikes have just sat in the garage all winter with little to no preparation beforehand. I have maybe 4 weekends left of riding where I live and was wondering if anybody could give some tips as to how to properly winterize a MX bike when the time comes??

Thanks!

I have a 2012 KTM 250sx.

was wondering if anybody could give some tips as to how to properly winterize a MX bike when the time comes??

Thanks!

Put studs in the tires and hit the lakes :smashpc:

all i've ever done is drain the floatbowl so the gas won't get icky in the carb. if it's stored somewhere that gets horrendously cold, draining the coolant might make sense, but my bikes have never been exposed to much below zero where i live, so I don't worry about it.

I would disagree, only because an empty gas tank will allow condensation on the metal inside, causing it to rust. Fill the tank and use something like Stabil, or just drain it in the spring and refill with fresh gas. I can't think of a reason to drain the anti-freeze unless it's going to get cold enough to freeze it. It doesn't "go bad"

Is there metal anywhere on the inside of the tank? Definitely drain the carb, otherwise the gas will corrode all of the jets and whatnot. It may also be a good idea to loft it on a stand to keep pressure off of the shocks and tires while it is sitting.

Put studs in the tires and hit the lakes :smashpc:

So sayeth 👍The Holy Book of DUH!:busted:

I will drain the carb for sure. do you think I should drain the coolant? it does get very cold here....-20C...

I will drain the carb for sure. do you think I should drain the coolant? it does get very cold here....-20C...

Test the coolant for freezepoint. Check your record lows in your location, and subtract 10F from that. That should be your min freeze protection.

I don't drain my coolant for the winter.

Good thorough bath.

Change oil and install fresh stuff.

I plug the exhaust so mice can't climb in there and make a nest, and last year I started pulling the air filter and installing a 'wash cover' for the same reason-buddy of mine had a mouse get into his airbox and shred a filter, sending foam all the carb and such. BLECH!

I do drain my fuel tanks and float bowls, and clean up and touch up any metal frame parts that may the paint rubbed off to prevent corrosion, and heavily oil my chain for the same reason.

I have a 2012 KTM 250sx.

It is my first brand new bike I have ever owned. Naturally I want to take good care of it. all my other bikes have just sat in the garage all winter with little to no preparation beforehand. I have maybe 4 weekends left of riding where I live and was wondering if anybody could give some tips as to how to properly winterize a MX bike when the time comes??

Thanks!

from quite a few years winterizing bikes and boats ( i live pretty close to you as well).

fill up the tank and add some stabil. run the bike for 10 minutes or so to get the oil warm.

drop the oil and change it as well as the filter if you have one.

empty the carb and make sure the fuel is off.

service the air cleaner, grease the lip where it contacts the airbox.

seal off the intake snorkel with something that looks mouse resistant. (half a tennis ball, etc).

make sure the battery is topped off, take it inside somewhere dry and don't let it sit on your moms carpet. a jug of antifreeze cut in half the long way makes a good container. put in on a battery tender.

make sure you at least slide the axles out enough to get some grease on them, I like to clean them and the bearings and then regrease.

clean and lube the chain with something besides wd40.

lube the cables with a cable luber. i back the tension off of mine as well.

plug the exhaust at the can (mice).

I like to put a shot of fogging oil in my cylinder, but that's up to you. bump the motor once or twice to get the cylinder coated of you do that. put a very small amount of never seize on the threads of your plug and put it back in.

if you have time, run through the exposed electrical connectors, add a touch of dielectric grease and put them back together. do this one connector at a time so you don't miss any.

hit any grease fittings on the bike.

when spring comes, add the battery, turn on the gas, open the intake and exhaust, adjust the cables and avoid the "bike won't run without the choke" portion of the forum.:smashpc:

it'll smoke until you burn the fogging oil out and if you added too much you might need a plug.

Store the bike on a stand if it hasn't been said. If you really want to be picky once a week or so take it off the stand and bounce the suspension a few times. Lack of use is very hard on the suspension seals.

first and foremost clean it really well. clean the air filter and air box too. i would then make sure all of the fuel is drained from the carbs. moving onto the cylinder i would pour some oil into the spark plug hole if i weren't going to run it all winter. get it on a stand so the tires won't get flat spots. if it's going to be stored in a cold area where rodents can get at it i would advise covering the air box and exhaust ports. they like building in there.

then when spring time comes change all your fluids, pump up your tires, make sure everything is still in check and go ride. the reason for changing your fluids after the winter is if it is stored in an environment where the temperature fluctuates it can cause some moisture build-up in places that you don't want it.