Sign in to follow this  

Smoky 90/91 XR250

Greetings T.T peeps, this is my 1st time posting so i apologize if this question has been asked 100 times b4. I brought the XR almost 1yr ago, runs very well. I put some good oil in her and since then it pumps white smoke that smells oily, i assume the rings are shot but is there another possible prob with the old girl, the dip stick shows that the oil is just under the top mark..

At that age and if it has never been rebored it very posibly it needs rebore, bigger piston/rings. But before we get into that, does it smoke just at start up or doest it while riding too.??

It smokes badly on start up and the last time I took it out for a run, she seemed to smoke less with the revs up and after a good ride. Doesn't seem to have lost any power, still feels as though it still has good response and pick up. Had her idling in the shed a couple of days ago and couldn't breath due to the amount of smoke. I do have a standard piston and rings kit ready to go in.

It smokes badly on start up and the last time I took it out for a run, she seemed to smoke less with the revs up and after a good ride. Doesn't seem to have lost any power, still feels as though it still has good response and pick up. Had her idling in the shed a couple of days ago and couldn't breath due to the amount of smoke. I do have a standard piston and rings kit ready to go in.

I would make sure you measure clearances before putting a standard piston in.

The bore needs to be round and have no taper for rings to seal correctly.

👍

At that point I would say it would be good to remove the head, change valve seals while you're there , and then inspect the cylinder bore for scratches and then figure if re-bore and over sized piston and rings are needed.

Cheers, good idea... Not long received a full gasket kit (valve seals were included). I shall keep ya'll posted on progress. Need to get it checked out b4 the end of the month due to a planned riding trip with about 10 guys.

Thanks 👍