Sign in to follow this  

Adjustable fuel screw !

I want to check out my pilot jet to see if its clogged..My question is, with this R&D adjustable fuel screw i had put in a few years back, do i just unscrew it from the body of the carb to get at the pilot jet ?..Or can someone explain the procedure on how i remove the R&D-AFS.

I cleaned the main jet & now i want to see about the pilot jet and not really sure on how this adjustable fuel screw comes out. Is it some what the same as the factory fuel screw. The problem i`m having is , it does`nt want to stay running after the choke is turned off, but if i give it gas it does,i just wont stay running by itself and i get alittle pop pop on deceleration.

Also, is the slow jet something i should look into also for this problem ?..And is that the jet that is next to the main jet inside the carburetor drain screw?..

Main jet is a 168..not sure about the pilot jet just yet.

No. You remove the 17mm cap on the bottom and then use a stubby driver to unscrew it. For some, it is simpler and less frustrating to pull the carb and work carefully on the bench. Yes, it is thye jet next to (and up inside the cast tube - be very gentle). It is not the one towards the back that looks more like a screw.

Try simply adjusting the fuel screw for a good idle, get the bike hot first. Decel pop is either an exhaust leak of worn out packing or simply cold weather (that careful fuel screw adjustmeent may cure).

Unless the bike has been sitting a while, I am sure the pilot jet is not clogged.

The fuel screw does unscrew (there is a spring/washer and tiny oring on it). But unless you ae careful and know what you are doing, working on the carb on the bech is a safer bet.

So when i unscrew the R&D fuel screw the pilot jet is behind that correct ?

I have taken it apart before a couple of times. It has been sitting all summer just have`nt had a chance to ride it and thought i`d clean it. I know the trick about loosening the boot clamps and just turning it some toward the out side to get at it better.

Thanks !

So when i unscrew the R&D fuel screw the pilot jet is behind that correct ?

I have taken it apart before a couple of times. It has been sitting all summer just have`nt had a chance to ride it and thought i`d clean it. I know the trick about loosening the boot clamps and just turning it some toward the out side to get at it better.

Thanks !

No it is not behind the fuel screw. It is in the fuel bowl next to the main jet like William1 said.