Sign in to follow this  

new to suspension world few questions

ive got a 02 KTM 400 since i have owned it (4 years now) i haven't touched the suspension settings too much but to put it lightly the rear spring is very worn out i was looking for any opinions for spring rates that would be close for me i ride mostly trails with the bike but would like to do a hair scramble every now and then, I'm 190 with gear on according to a spring rate calculator on mxtech i would need a 8.4kg spring but ive read on here not to trust those calculators so i figured id ask around on here to see what people are using. Any more info that is needed ill be more than happy to supply... As long as its not credit card information or my SS number :smashpc:

I seriously doubt your spring is worn out. You need to have your shock serviced. It should be service a couple times a year if you use it alot. Once a year with light use. AT LEAST. Sounds like you are WAY over due. Pick your springs by properly setting the sags. Set your static sag on rear to about 40-45mm and then check your rider sag. You want your rider sag to be about 115-120mm. Newer KTMs need a bit less sag. I ran 9.2kg spring on my 03 525EXC and I weigh 185lbs. The 525 weighs about the same as your 400.