Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust cam bounce???

When I rotate the exhaust cam in the head journals is it normal for the ass end to lift? The cam lifts from the decompressor shaft that is exposed by the exhaust buckets in the cam body. I'm semi new at top end

Rebuilds and could really use a hand. What's the purpose of the exhaust decompressor and do I have it installed properly??

the lift you are seeing is from the cam decompression pin (as it rolls over the shim bucket). it doesnt happen with the cam cap in place (the bucket forces the decompression pin to roll on its axis to release). i releases the compression from the cylinder when the bike isnt running (during the non fire stroke), it aids in starting, so you dont have to kick through the compression

The de-compression pin that is between the cam lobes should rotate freely by hand, and not be bound up in any way. It should roll from rounded side to flat side when you roll the cam over in the journal with the cap placed over it. The spring loaded mechanism should also be a free moving part, and I believe its purpose is to weight the decompression pin to stay in position when there is no load against it, but to answer your question, yes you have it right.