Sign in to follow this  

01 CR125 mysteries

New one for me.. Bought a bike that didn't run ( probably a mistake) but it was cheap.

-- Spark plugs work great when you kick. Both visible and painful.

-- Tests 130 psi compression

-- Took carb apart, cleaned, put back together

No luck so I took out spark plug and sprayed some b12 in, kicked until I couldn't kick no more. Still nothing. Suggestions? If I have compression, spark and fuel... What else is there! Carb hadn't been rebuilt in a year, could start there. Top end just re done but there's only 130 psi so I wonder if it was done right. Any comments suggestions much appreciated!

Mixed up new fuel so I hope so. Not sure how to check fuel flow to cylinder; spark plug was bone dry after kicking for 5 minutes. Could reed valve not be letting fuel in?

Turn fuel petcock to on. Open drain screw on carb (base of bowl), fuel should flow.

The reed cage usually has 4 ports on it, so absolutely 0 fuel flow through it would be unlikely.

Proper carburetor cleaning includes a complete disassembly of all parts and either submerging the parts in carburetor cleaner for 8 hours or boiling them in water until your mom or significant other realizes you're boiling carburetor parts in their pot on their stove. I recommend carburetor cleaner.

Compression tests on any engine should only be done with the throttle held wide open, 5 kicks; then repeated (5 kicks, throttle wfo) after adding a small amount of oil to the cylinder (through plug hole). If the reading after adding oil is 15 - 20 % higher than the original, you've got compression issues.

You may find a greater wealth of info on the 2 stroke TT forum, as this is a 4 stroke forum. We have real valves, only one mixture to fuddle with and way more rings on our pistons.