I'll pay dearly for this but..

I enjoyed the hell out of my CR250 this year. It's time for new rubber. I ride everything from 2" sand, hard clay, loose sandy soil, golf ball sized river rocks, iron mine slag piles, hard gravel logging roads, and even wood chips. Many of those conditions tear up knobbies. I'm looking to get a rear tire that will last longer on the rocks and gravel even at the cost of a little traction in the sand and soil so I thought I wanted a set of Dunlop 952's. So I searched and read alot of unhappy stories of the 952 front being scary skatey, and unpredictable so, I think an intermediate front tire will probably last at least 2 rear 952 life cycles in the conditions I mentioned, right? Any and all opinions on a decent intermediate front tire would gratefully welcomed.

I did search on this alot, the opinions were all over the map so I had to ask after mentioning my desired case.

Thanx,

JJ

I have been running the 952's on both of my WR's for a while now and have been happy with them. Most of my riding is CA deserts which means everything from sand, silt, hardpack, rock gardens and some occasional pavement:busted: Before I started using the 952 I was using the Maxxis IT but I didn't care for the way it handled, as it always felt like a half worn out tire. It did last a a long time but chunked pretty bad. The 952 has been much better with no chunking and they are usually priced well. It seems to be marketed for a wide range of terrain. Not quite the life of the Maxxis but IMO it is better all around. If I were you I would give it a shot, works great for me. If I could only find a front that I like:banghead:.....getting ready to try the Pirelli XCMH :smashpc:

EDIT.........Sorry I just noticed you were interested in the front & rear. My only experience with the 952 is the rear and that it what my review is based on. I'm sure someone else will chime in about the front.

I'm mostly looking for input on a softer front front since it won't wear out as fast as a hard rear (I don't think) with the terrain I mentioned. I'm not 100 percent decided on the 952 rear either, just seems like the right rear for me so far. I'll want to order them together when I make my decision.

Thanx again

JJ

Michelin S12 rear and S12xc front. Only combination I ever use. I ride every terrain with this combination, even road! Both tires have the best traction I have ever had. The Front The front has lasted 2 rears and still goin, with amazing traction! It wears incredibly well, even on the road, it just won't die! The rear does seem to wear pretty quick on the road, but believe me this tire has traction the the wire, it's absolutely amazing, the only reason you will replace this tire is fear of punctures because you have no tread left.

But this is just my opinion, these tires and the only dirt bike tires I will ever use!

i use the m12 on the front and s12 on the rear, good traction in most of the terrains you listed, and i probably have 25hrs on these tyres and the rear has only worn the leading edge off and it could be turned around to another sharp edge, and still getting good traction

952 rear all the way, they last like iron and hook up well in wet clay, rocks and roots and they are decent in the dry as well. I tried the 952 front and hated it, it would wash out in a heartbeat unless I ran stupid low pressure like 5 psi, then I got pinch flats. Swapped it out for a 756 and have been real happy with the combo.

ssanddemon,

You're the 5th or 6th person that's recommended that combination of the 3 forums I've cruised. I thought someone said 756's are hard to come by? Maybe that was another tire. I'll be looking that up.

They are getting hard to find. Mine was about $55 from Bob's 2 months ago, not listed currently.