Sign in to follow this  

200cc with a 34mm carb

Well that has changed a bunch over the years. The 200's have used 39mm, 38mm, and 36mm. The newest models are running 36mm. I just happen to have a 34mm I can snag for 40 bucks and thought it might be worth a shot.

Joe........

I dont know why KTM went with the 36mm to begin with.....

a little extra low end at the expense of top end?

I think the 150 has the 38mm carb! go figure?

the 38 mm works very well with 200 on the trail

Joe have you ridden the 200 with both the 38 and 36 you've currently got? I'd like to know how you say they compare. Spill it bud!

Joe have you ridden the 200 with both the 38 and 36 you've currently got? I'd like to know how you say they compare. Spill it bud!

I have not. The only carb I have ran in the 200 is the 39mm. I do have a 36mm but it is loaned out at the moment, I never did get time to play with it. Now that fall is here I have two race weekends left in the season so I will have time to work on extra stuff after November.

The small carb direction KTM is heading must be to give a better low end engine. A smaller bore carb will not have the volume but will have a higher velocity.

Joe...........

I will be experimenting with Joe's 36. So far i have tried the 39 and 38. The 38 works much better. I have ridden the 36mm equipped bike and they work well too for me. But, i ride from 3/4 throttle and below. The 34 is an interesting experiment and i look forward to hearing about it. Didn't know there was such a thing.

My 200 with the 36mm has tons of torque. In a tight hare scramble I can run in 3rd and 4th gear at slow speeds no problem but my bike runs out of steam from upper mid to top. Bet a carb key holed from 36-39mm is the hot ticket. My bike is set up to lug but I like to rip as well. You guys with the bigger carbs have the opposite problem that I'm having. Bike rips mid to top but needs a little more on the bottom.

My 200 with the 36mm has tons of torque. In a tight hare scramble I can run in 3rd and 4th gear at slow speeds no problem but my bike runs out of steam from upper mid to top. Bet a carb key holed from 36-39mm is the hot ticket. My bike is set up to lug but I like to rip as well. You guys with the bigger carbs have the opposite problem that I'm having. Bike rips mid to top but needs a little more on the bottom.

The 38mm carb can work just as well as the 36 does down low. I used to swap bikes with a bud who had a stock 08 when I had my 05. My 05 wasn't stock, but I have ridden stock 200's from that genre. And now I am on an 08 with the 38 and just rode a stock 08 last weekend.

My bike's head has been milled which helps, but the 38 is easy to tune to give a great bottom to top power delivery.

I will be experimenting with a different reed setup and the 36mm carb soon, posting my findings.

BTW, there is a 38mm carb for sale on ktmtalk right now cheap.

The 38mm carb can work just as well as the 36 does down low. I used to swap bikes with a bud who had a stock 08 when I had my 05. My 05 wasn't stock, but I have ridden stock 200's from that genre. And now I am on an 08 with the 38 and just rode a stock 08 last weekend.

My bike's head has been milled which helps, but the 38 is easy to tune to give a great bottom to top power delivery.

I will be experimenting with a different reed setup and the 36mm carb soon, posting my findings.

BTW, there is a 38mm carb for sale on ktmtalk right now cheap.

Thanks. I am considering a 38mm also that I could swap back and forth especially if it is cheap. Doin suspension at the moment so no $. Head mod and carb swap/mod are next.

haha, I like the 38 as I have them figured out with jetting. I like the idea of the 36 being able to access the pilot and main from the drain, without having to pull the entire bowl.

TBH, I could run the 36 without much issue since I rarely get to use the top end anyway.

Joe, give the 34 a whirl and let us hear about it. 👍 I will likely start a thread once I get into the experimentation of these parts.

If you want to try a 38mm Joe I've got one without the slide and top of the carb, I can ship it to you and if you love it keep it.