Sign in to follow this  

new member, old questions?

i guess i cant post a pic of my 07 DRZ yet?

but i am not new to the bike. 6500 miles, basic mods.

anyone the original mongoose? i should have asked for a password? i may have been this way afew years ago?

the reason i am here is i have a few questions. i really love the bike. but...

the chain slap has always bothered me. is there a drivechain tensioner that can be used or am i just too sensitive to this noise? i put one on my 79 500R honda and it was a totally more enjoyable ride. didnt have to adjust the chain after every ride. i can live with the chain noise but just askin'.

i have ordered a DJ stage1 jetting kit, should be here this weekend, 10/8. just havent seemed to get it right. have to run some % of ethanol here in Florida. real PITA!!👍 i have raised the stock needle approx 1 step with washers. has anyone worked with what Mr. Suzuki gave us? or just go with the after market jetting stuff?

i long ago opened the air box and did the stock exhaust thing. although i did not use a hole saw. IIRC i drove the restrictor into the back of the spark arrestor with an approx 1 1/4" deep socket and extention. fit in the rear of the spark arrestor real nice. still there today. then i got crazy and w/a 12" x 3/8" drill i perforated the muffler baffles. around 8 holes. its not real loud but has made jetting the carb a challenge, and maybe a little loud for the Forest Service. they havent hassled me yet but they are gettin thicker by the year.:busted:

that said, i was ripping it around this afternoon and it runs great. but pops more than i would like on decel. i have lurked here long enough to learn there is a decel enrichment in the 36mm cv carbs, and there may be a way to disable that?

thanks to all and thanks for this forum. there is a good chance i have long ago learned alot here.:smashpc: LOL

chain slap--- if your consantly adjusting, chain is wore out

really should have gone with the DJ stage 2, the DJ 1 wasn't designed for 3x3 mod

your popping on decel is from opening air box and not rejetting.

the JamesDean kit is the most complete

your little confused on coast enrich...... its on the E slant body FCR

darn!! i should have posted before i ordered. i was worried the stage 1 wasnt more than i already have done. but the word was the needle was the ticket. the stock main jet will work?

i also didnt see a stage 2 kit for the CV stock carb?

also, the chain thing has bugged me from day one. maybe a better chain?

darn!! i should have posted before i ordered. i was worried the stage 1 wasnt more than i already have done. but the word was the needle was the ticket. the stock main jet will work?

i also didnt see a stage 2 kit for the CV stock carb?

also, the chain thing has bugged me from day one. maybe a better chain?

stage 2 came out after the SM model was released

yes the needle is the important item for the rejet.

the stock needle is not adjustable and wrong taper for anything

other than emmisions.

ran many years with DJ1/3x3 combo stock main ( 142.5) 25 pilot, clip 3

2.5 turns on fuel screw

cool, thanks. only question is the pilot jet. is this included in the jet kit? again, i didnt see it. seems it is the idle screw? so turning out the OE another turn?

and if anyone has experience with an ethanol mix would be helpfull. maybe the #4-5 clip?

no, 25 pilot is not included

thats why the JamesDean kit is recomended most here, includes pilot, wider range of mains,

and replacement bowl screws ( be aware, you will damage/ruin the stock ones removing)

need the 25 because, trying to use stock 22.5 will need to run screw out too far.

anything more than 3.5 turns run the risk of screw backing out and falling out and

being lost.

or get the keintech extended screw, has a leaner tip and allows use of 22.5(stock)

and keeps enough thread engagment so not to back out

thanks for the reply. i have turned it out a bit, dont remember how much. i have had the bowl off. no probs.

so if i need a richer mix, the main jet is larger with the higher #? i have read a 136 is used if the exhaust/air box is stock w/ the aftermarket needle?

one other thing is when to check valve adjustment? as said 6500 miles, manuel says check at 15000? my bike idles great when hot. but is a PITA when cold? i have been thinking fuel?

Edited by 1mongoose

thanks to all and thanks for this forum. there is a good chance i have long ago learned alot here.:smashpc: LOL

Well maybe you didn't learn as well as you think.....👍

1/You don't bother trying to mod the std exhaust if you want to improve performance..

2/With stage 1 DJ jet kit the airbox is kept stock...but really you don't bother getting this stage 1 kit to begin with...The JD kit is mostly recommended..

I would return the DJ Jet kit and ask for the JD kit ...With that botched up muffler the jetting is going to be "try it and see how it runs"...

use the following settings as a starting point.

For James Dean Jet kit at near sea level with 3x3 mod and open pipe..

#160 main jet

jd blue needle

clip 4

22.5 pilot jet with extended screw or 25 pilot jet with stock screw

2.75 turns fuel screw

This may be of assistance when installing the jet kit.....

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334539

After you install your jet kit run thru this procedure to check your pilot circuit.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327405

Checking valves more regularly is a smart practice..I check mine every 3000

km on the 485 stroker and every 5000 km on my E...

And YES..the higher the number the larger the jet ize....

I agree with Craigo, return the kit if you can and get the JD kit. If you can't, the stage 1 kit will still work. Before I upgraded to the FCR-MX I ran the stage 1 kit with 3x3, stock exhaust, 25 pilot, clip on the 4th slot down, and 145 main jet.

Well maybe you didn't learn as well as you think.....

i probably deserve that, haha. if i did happen this way researching the DRZ before i bought it back in '06 i certainly missed the James jet kit.

with my "mods" i have gotten the top speed to 96 MPH and then punched the exhaust out some more to see if i could hit the century mark, but the DRZ starts to dance around at those speeds. and i have other bikes to go fast on.

so i have lived with the lean surge at cruise. better than when OE but still bugs me. and the noisey chain.

so prepping it for this riding season (Nov-June for us) i will get the Dean kit and see what i can do. i have been using duct tape to try and fine tune the airbox opening. but it is clear i need jetting. maybe a nice O-ring chain as well?

and some new tires. looking at the Dunlop 606s? any recomendations there? 70/30 street/hardpack dirt.

thanks for getting me on the right track. i do love this bike:thumbsup:

just an update. i order a lot of parts. buts James D Jetting declined my order of the DRZ400s/sm kit? Dyno jet has not not shipped their kit to this date, been a week.

what is your guess as to why? no requests, orders anymore? they dont stock these as there is little need for them?

how out of date is my '07? does the Thumper Talk store stock 'em? 👍

i probably deserve that, haha. if i did happen this way researching the DRZ before i bought it back in '06 i certainly missed the James jet kit.

with my "mods" i have gotten the top speed to 96 MPH and then punched the exhaust out some more to see if i could hit the century mark, but the DRZ starts to dance around at those speeds. and i have other bikes to go fast on.

so i have lived with the lean surge at cruise. better than when OE but still bugs me. and the noisey chain.

so prepping it for this riding season (Nov-June for us) i will get the Dean kit and see what i can do. i have been using duct tape to try and fine tune the airbox opening. but it is clear i need jetting. maybe a nice O-ring chain as well?

and some new tires. looking at the Dunlop 606s? any recomendations there? 70/30 street/hardpack dirt.

thanks for getting me on the right track. i do love this bike:thumbsup:

What r u running for tires now?

believe it or not still the OE tires. been think'n and really not a bad choice. not great in loose dirt or grass but really good mileage for commuting and inexpensive.

other news is dyno jet e-mailed me and apparently found something. no info if it has shipped. but at least they are trying?

just an update. i order a lot of parts. buts James D Jetting declined my order of the DRZ400s/sm kit? Dyno jet has not not shipped their kit to this date, been a week.

what is your guess as to why? no requests, orders anymore? they dont stock these as there is little need for them?

how out of date is my '07? does the Thumper Talk store stock 'em? 👍

Yes TT store has them.....http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ShoppingCart.asp