Sign in to follow this  

Ditching the electric start

Hey guys, I made a down payment on a 250 sx, but they keep pushing back the due date. I am now considering an xc, but I do not want the electric start or battery. Any tips and part number I need to complete would be greatly appreciated. This will be an endurocross bike so I'm looking for light weight, hence ditching the e start...

Thanks for all help in advanced.

Chase

I removed mine from an 11 300xc. It's an easy job. You will only need one part, the ignition cover from a 2008 model XC (you can find it on any parts fiche).

As the owner of a SX converted for HS racing, I suggest you carefully consider what you want to do with the bike. For endurocross, that 18 wheel might be a big advantage (especially if trials tires are legal), so you may want the xc anyway, along with the milder motor. My SX has basically been converted into an XC over the course of 2 years, so I probably should have just started with the XC. Do whatever you want with the e start--you are going to pay for it.

As the owner of a SX converted for HS racing, I suggest you carefully consider what you want to do with the bike. For endurocross, that 18 wheel might be a big advantage (especially if trials tires are legal), so you may want the xc anyway, along with the milder motor. My SX has basically been converted into an XC over the course of 2 years, so I probably should have just started with the XC. Do whatever you want with the e start--you are going to pay for it.

?

I never missed mine...

I specifically did not want e start when I bough my bike in 09, when I lived in south GA (flat terrain). I have since moved to an area with mountains, and there have been a few times where I really wished I had it (e.g., stuck on the side of a really big drop off!).

If the Xc is what I end up with, the E start system will be for sale, ill keep you posted. Im not to worried about losing the E start. The 18inch wheel is definitely a plus, but i believe the bike is about 10 pounds heavier. Does anyone know the weight savings of removing the electric start system?

Typically, removing the battery and starter motor saves around 10 pounds from what i hear. This number is not EXC specific, just dirt bikes in general.

Finding the ignition cover can be difficult. It took mine 2 months to come in (at a price of $60 however).

It's easy taking it off. Make sure you order the gasket, and the little plastic dowels. Can't remember if you need different length bolts, I don't believe so.

Thanks Zach, what year(s) cover works as a replacement. Will and 2012 sx cover work or does it need to be an older xc version?

Pay close attn. to routing the ignition wires under the new cover. Sawed mine in half.

The non-estart ignition cover will need shorter bolts. I just cut the old bolts. This bike starts so easily I can't imagine wanting estart unless you're prone to stalling in bad situations. I have a Rekluse so that never happens. Besides weight, the engine looks a lot cleaner without the starter motor on it.

If I remove the e-start and battery can I still run lights on a 2010 300 xc? Or does the electrical system need a battery in there?