Sign in to follow this  

05 ktm 450exc, problems to look for?

Looking at buying an 05 450exc Street legal model. Have one in mind and will be checking it out soon. What questions should I be asking and specific problems should I look for...like a certain place the frame cracks, a certain place the motor oil leaks, etc.?

I've had a handful of bikes, and am an auto mechanic, but not at all familiar with KTM's. Thanks for the input.

Also, sidenote, if I buy it, what are the "necessary" upgrades? :smashpc:

That year did not come stock as a street legal model, but of course there are many that have been converted. So you want to make sure the exact status on that.

Otherwise there is not too much to talk about. By then those bikes were super durable. I can't really think of anything KTM specific to look at.

- The starter intermediate gear was updated with an ('02) model gear because they were less prone to breaking teeth. 2nd option is to replace the case and gears with an '06 update having an internal clutch.

- Some leaking on the plastic rebound knob located on the fork cap. O ring replacement takes care of it.

- Some stock headers leaked at the head flange causing air leaks and back firing. Stock header can be formed and bent with heat- or replace with an HT header.

- Other seals to check commonly sweating or leaking: Countershaft sprocket, and kickstart seal.

- Check your bottom shock heim joint for slack. If so, it needs replacement.

Use of Bel-ray WP grease let mine live for almost 5 years in NW water conditions.

-KTM's chains are often too tight. On a stand, pull the 2 shock bolts and bring the back wheel up to the tightest point. Adjust the chain, and pick a swingarm point for future measurement. Mine runs 2-1/2" slack on the stand from behind the swingarm rub block.

- Stock intake valves require regular checking. Exhaust valves were almost perfect on mine at 8,000 miles.

Thanks Guys, all good info. Keep it coming if you think of anything.

Between me and a couple of my riding buddies, we averaged 300-400 hours on a handful of 05 450's and never did squat to them. Just ride it.

Are we taalking pinion or ring gear on the starter drive? And what happens when they fail? Still kickable?

its the intermediate gear in the right side case, part of te slipper system there for the starter. It was not heat treated right and some of them go out. Some guys changed to the new side case with removeable clutch cover and others just replace with a new stock part. I think all the old bad gears you would get from the dealer for a part would be good to go by now.

Seems we had to push him to start it, but cant remember for sure

Kicker still works.

Ring, replate cylinder to go with rings. intake valves. Screw adjusters in head. Rejet carb. Excellent bike. Good frame and suspension. A keeper.

If more power is needed can go from 450 to 565cc's with bolt on top end only.

No black wheels or forks or frame. Looks better old.

Bob