Sign in to follow this  

Benefits of '05-'07 frame VS '02-'04 frame

I have a 2003 crf450r and I love it, but most of my buddies ride 2005 or newer and they all swear that the '05 frames make for a much better riding experience...

Anyone care to elaborate on this?

Are the '05 and newer frames noticeably different than riding the '02-'04 frames?

Thanks for sharing your opinions!!!

yes they are narrower. Why dont you just swap bikes with your buddies for a few laps or miles.

OK, I have both generations of bikes, an '04 and an '07. They are both set up for me with suspension and bars, etc.

I brought along both bikes last year at a local track so a buddy could ride as his bike was broken. About halfway through the day he and I had a long session dicing it out. After many laps he inched up, and inched up, and finally got around me. We must have ridden 20+ laps. I was on the '04 bike.

After that, we went out again to try and replicate our session, but this time I took the newer bike and quickly gapped him to finally end up nearly a half lap ahead after the same amount of time.

So? Same track, same conditions, and same person riding hot on my tail to push me. And both bike set up for me and my riding style. And the newer bike was just that much better. The main difference is that the newer generation front wheel has much better *bite* and you can trust it more in the corners. So on an average track with 1.5-2 min lap times I would say I am 4-5 secs a lap faster on the newer bike.

But I still like my trusty old '04 CRF. I have put tons of laps on it and will never sell it. I will ride it anytime or anywhere, but I will not race it. I will choose the '05-'08 frame all day over the '02-04!

To put a skill level to that assessment, on a good day I am vet intermediate speed.

SKthom2320 thanks man that is an awesome comparison and right on what I was looking for... an unbiased comparison from someone who rides both models. It DOES seem to me that my 2003 front wheel tends to want to slide out from underneath me in the corners sometimes... Even compared to my 2002 cr250r... I've gotten used to it and have adjusted my riding to compensate for it as I have pretty much come to expect it. I was wondering if it would be the same on the '05 and newer frames but from what I am hearing from you is that the new frames have corrected the front wheel slip problems the older frames present.

THANKS!!:smashpc:

no matter what mods, the basic frame will be different. swap bikes

The '05 through '08 have different offsets on the forks as well. The tripple trees are the same as '02 through '04. The difference is the connectors at the bottom of the forks so the frame swap alone won't make it like an '05 up. A fork swap off a newer bike might give it a very different feel.

The 05 and up chassis is simply better and not just marginally. If youve adjusted your riding technique enough to make the 02 work pretty good, when you get onto the new chassis you'll feel like youre on a works bike.

If youre looking for a newer bike, get an 07 or 08.

05 was the 1st gen of the new frame, It turned ok but had a lot of front end push in the center of the corner

In 06 they Changed the frame, Honda lowered the crankshaft 5mm by tilting the engine forward in the frame (requiring a new lower frame cradle and front motor mounts) They also Lowered the radiators 5mm. These changes helped with the turning problems of the 05

06-07 are 98% the same chassis and suspension (other then a few small subframe changes )

In 08 they Changed the fork offset From 24mm to 22mm and added the steering dampener

there was other changes to the engine and carb through those years but that doesn't really matter when you are talking handling

• Like 1

this is from MXA mag

Q: DOES THE 2006 CRF450 MAKE THE 2005 MODEL OBSOLETE?

A: What most consumers want to know is whether they should sell their old CRF450 and buy a 2006 model. If you own a 2002, 2003 or 2004 CRF450, you haven't even come close to experiencing the joy of Honda ownership. Bikes from the first three years of CRF development had handling flaws that can't be fixed with band-aids. Of added concern is the life cycle of a three-year-old four-stroke engine. Not that it will blow up tomorrow, but it is three years closer to devastation than a new engine.

Owners of a 2005 CRF450 have a tougher decision to make. The important stats (frame geometry, dyno numbers and dimensions) are unchanged. The true-to-life difference between an •05 and •06 CRF450 can best be felt at turn-in. It's so subtle that most people wouldn't recognize it (or their setup would negate it). Yet, on the other hand, it is a handling plus that can't be denied.