Sign in to follow this  

Crankcase Hole Cap

Can somebody tell me which direction I should be trying to turn my Crankcase Hole Cap on a 2009 450R?

I don't know what they torqued this thing to at the factory but it's on there so tight I can't even move it by hand with a 10mm T-Handle.

Seems like counter-clockwise should be the right way?!?

TIA

Yeh, its a standard thread. So CCW to loosen. Easier to use a Bit-driver socket set.

Not sure which cap you're referring to, but any of them would loosen to the left or counter clock wise.

It's the big cap on the right side of the case used to align TDC.

Thanks for the info! I'm tearing in to the top end of my 450R for the first time...big learning curve, but lots of learning!

And yes, most people tend to over tighten fasteners on bikes. Once the cap bottoms, the o-ring is compressed so as to keep fluid from getting past. It needs to be just tight enough to not come loose.

And yes, most people tend to over tighten fasteners on bikes. Once the cap bottoms, the o-ring is compressed so as to keep fluid from getting past. It needs to be just tight enough to not come loose.

Yes I agree which is why I use a maintenance manual and torque everything to spec.

This cap had never been removed though and was crazy tight. I ended up using a big wrench on the t-Handle and it finally budged. I just wanted to make sure I was turning it the right way when putting all that torque on there with the big pipe wrench.

Thanks again guys! Back to ripping off the top end!

Yes I agree which is why I use a maintenance manual and torque everything to spec.

This cap had never been removed though and was crazy tight. I ended up using a big wrench on the t-Handle and it finally budged. I just wanted to make sure I was turning it the right way when putting all that torque on there with the big pipe wrench.

Thanks again guys! Back to ripping off the top end!

The torque on reinstall seems very low, but I've never had mine loosen...or been hard to get off but I aways use an allen head socket on a ratchet.