Sign in to follow this  

2002 WR Reserection

Hey guys i'm the new kid in town, well the last time I logged in was 1/28/2007 so I guess I've moved back to the old neighborhood:thumbsup:. Anyway, I picked up a 02 WR250 last night with a broken kickstarter shaft. The bike has been dormant for several years. I've been riding a 99 KTM 200 mxc but life got in the way and I haven't done much riding at all for the last few years and I'm ready to change all that. My last four stroke was an xr400 over 10 years ago so I'm anxious to see how these newfangled 4strokes run :smashpc: I've actually ridden a wr and kxf but only for breif rides.

I was looking at part numbers and it looks like this kick shaft is specific to the 01-02 yz/wr. Can anyone confirm this? There is a video on you tube and the repalcement looks pretty straight forward. I have an impact wrench so getting the clutch basket off shouldn't be an issue. To prevent this in the future it looks like I will need a 03-05 wr or yz exhaust cam. I thought I would look for used parts first. Is there some place I should look for these other than here or ebay? I'm looking forward to spending some time on this in the woods, assuming I didn't buy a green weiner 👍 I have the KTM to ride so I can take my time going through this one. Thanks in advance for responses.

Oh boy, you are in for a pleasant surprise with that bike! They are great rides and nothing like the XR.

It probably is specific 01 and 02, but a quick check on the parts fisch on 03 and above will verify that. The only thing you need to be careful of is the water pump when you put the side cover back on. Be sure to have the pump cover off so you can turn the shaft and get the gears to mesh properly. Don't just force it on. Some guys have broken their pump gear and then taken out the tranny and clutch gear with the pieces. The exhaust cam is a great upgrade, we did that on my son's 02 yz with a hot cam stage 1. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the heads up on the pump gears. I'm sure the bike will be a blast.

I was hoping the shaft was interchangeable with other years since there are several on ebay for cheap. The part numbers are 01/02 specific but that could be due to differences in the other parts attached to the start shaft.