Sign in to follow this  

Hard on the gas...Hard on the rear brake

I tend to gravitate towards this style of riding often, especially when the trail opens up. The front brake has its purpose but I enjoy locking the rear tire into a controlled slide changing direction and then pouring on full throttle heavily. Probably not the most efficient style and riders behind me mentioned some obsure word like rust or roost but I sure have lots of fun riding like this.:smashpc:

Anyway, I had a chance to ride my old DRZ400E last weekend and felt like I was faster on it than my current 250xcw. I have to wonder if my driving habits are better suited to the 4 stroke. Chopping the rpms way down frequently then trying to ramp them up again would seem to favor the 4 stroke with the low end torque they are known for.

Does anyone have some words of wisdom for a hack rider like me? Would a 4 stroke be better suited?

The DRZ felt great...like a well worn in glove. The jury is still out on KTM but think with the magic touch, it will become a favorite.

Any thoughts on my riding style vs 2/4 stroke?

Summary: were comparing a 2001 DRZ400E to a 2007 250xcw in corners.

Really? Give it time. I'm sure you can shove that 250 through a corner faster with time/practice. Give 2007 a chance. :smashpc:

👍

Probably a little perception, a little familiarity with the ol drz but I'd be willing to bet your 250 has remarkably close torque #s to the 400. The XC-w of that vintage tends to be rather insipid as well. Two things you could try... When you hammer down with your right foot do the same with your left.... And you could get yourself an SX head, that'll wake up the W a bit.

I've seen guys doing amazing things on Dr's especially on fire roads. When I talk to them they all say the DR is gutless but something about the delivery of the torque lets it slide through turns like magic. No 250 has the low end to do that.

If your going to ride like that with your 250, i would just pull the clutch in drop a gear or 2 ( while your using your brake) when going into the turn . then jump the clutch and just rev it to the sky while exiting the turn.

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess the DRZE is like an old glove to me and am used to the torque being on tap whereas I have to work for it a little more on the XCW.

The XCW head was redone by Cycle Playground and am running the yellow PV spring. I may switch to the red. The ignition map wire is unplugged.

For now, I honestly think I'm quicker on the DRZE due to on-tap torque...or at least that's my perception as mentioned in a previous post. More seat time is in order on the XCW!

Are you saying the riding style you described in the 1st paragraph is how you ride, or what? That pretty much is 2 stroke moto style riding. Are you still running stock gearing on the KTM?

Sometimes I ride like that, just have to add a little clutch in there too.

Have you tried riding the 250 a gear up and carrying speed, maintaining momentum and pulling the highest gear you can, trying to stay smooth? I find that I can ride faster thru the woods that way vs trying to keep the engine spooled up and attacking the whole time. Also, the rear susp works better when there isn't so much pull on the chain under hard acceleration.

I ride for fun, not for what I am faster on. For me, the 2 stroke is more fun to ride than a 4 stroke, especially when I have to pick it up out of the mud, off a hill, etc.

I agree with you... Sounds like your going to be better off on the drz and letting someone else have the xcw that knows how to ride it...

1981 Honda CT70 * 1978 Yamaha DT175 * 1997 Yamaha XT350 * 2001 Suzuki DRZ400E * 2007 KTM 250XCW

If this is your bike riding history...Well no wonder you're having a hard time with it. Adjust the nut between the seat and hand grips. It should work out just fine.

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess the DRZE is like an old glove to me and am used to the torque being on tap whereas I have to work for it a little more on the XCW.

The XCW head was redone by Cycle Playground and am running the yellow PV spring. I may switch to the red. The ignition map wire is unplugged.

For now, I honestly think I'm quicker on the DRZE due to on-tap torque...or at least that's my perception as mentioned in a previous post. More seat time is in order on the XCW!

I had both these bikes and to be honest I was way faster on the exc. Plug that wire in, gear down to 13/52 and ride a gear higher using the clutch to get to the power.

I presently have a 2009 300 and I miss the old 250 in the woods. The DRZ is a pig on wheels and if you drop it down a steep hill forget it!

In the tighter trails, I roll the throttle on and off more. When things open up though, many times I enjoy WOT to the last possible moment before entering a turn, then getting on the rear brake hard and finally WOT coming out of the turn.

I think the key may be learning better clutch control on the XCW. The sudden drop in RPM's when hammering the rear brake can stall the engine at times if my timing with the clutch lever is late. Stalling doesn't happen frequently but the DRZ seems more forgiving, or perhaps my timing was tuned on this bike. If the RPM's get too low, the XCW has a short lag before hitting the powerband again.

I may try some different gearing too as was suggested. I can ride both bikes relatively fast, it's probably just a matter of continiung to retune 4-stroke habits to a 2-stroke.

I've never officially raced so being faster is not paramount...a group of us friends hammering through the trails sure feels like a race though! It's all about the adrenaline rush for me when riding faster.

I had both these bikes and to be honest I was way faster on the exc. Plug that wire in, gear down to 13/52 and ride a gear higher using the clutch to get to the power.

I presently have a 2009 300 and I miss the old 250 in the woods. The DRZ is a pig on wheels and if you drop it down a steep hill forget it!

Yes, if you want to go fast, plug that wire back in!

In the tighter trails, I roll the throttle on and off more. When things open up though, many times I enjoy WOT to the last possible moment before entering a turn, then getting on the rear brake hard and finally WOT coming out of the turn.

I think the key may be learning better clutch control on the XCW. The sudden drop in RPM's when hammering the rear brake can stall the engine at times if my timing with the clutch lever is late. Stalling doesn't happen frequently but the DRZ seems more forgiving, or perhaps my timing was tuned on this bike. If the RPM's get too low, the XCW has a short lag before hitting the powerband again.

I may try some different gearing too as was suggested. I can ride both bikes relatively fast, it's probably just a matter of continiung to retune 4-stroke habits to a 2-stroke.

I've never officially raced so being faster is not paramount...a group of us friends hammering through the trails sure feels like a race though! It's all about the adrenaline rush for me when riding faster.

as mentioned, plug the wire back in, and install a 52 rear sprocket. there is a lag with stock gearing on the W to get it going. the 52 will help with that. It will likely allow you to run a gear higher easier also, getting you into the powerband quicker.

typically with stalling, if you are rolling, just letting the clutch out will refire the bike. If you are having real issues with it, a FWW will help. Doesn't sound like it is a huge deal though.

Are you running stock jetting? Changes here can make a huge difference at low RPM as you describe.

I came off a drz400 and went to a 300 mxc a couple of years ago. It took a little time but I am much faster on 300. I understand what you are saying though, the drz was so comfortable, but man it was a pig, in fact that was our nickname for it, the pig.

Make sure you are riding with a finger on the clutch at all times if you currently aren't. I rode a WR400F for a few years and when I got back on a 2 stroke I realized I had gotten out of the habit of doing it. Probably because it took more than a finger or two to pull the clutch anyway. On my 200 I keep one finger on the trigger at all times and it really makes all the difference when riding in the point and shoot manner you describe.

Ha! The DRZ is a great bike in its element (long miles on rough roads) but is totally out classed by any KTM off road. All 4 stokes follow a different path through the corners than the 2 strokes, and if you like powering out of the corner with a lot of roost, you are on the right bike now! Just remember to gear it down while you are locking up the back wheel.

Welcome to the serious side of off road biking!

I have a 07 drz 400 and a 07 300xc. The drz has had all

Mods and the suspension done. The 300 has just had the

The suspension done. Even with all the mods to make the

Drz better. It dose not come close the the Ktm on single

Track. If I tried to ride the drz as fast I can the Ktm on

Single track, I would hit a tree and Die. I ride the 300

A gear higher and use the torque of the motor. I'm not a

Rever kind of rider, but sometimes You done need to stab

The clutch and get the bike to spool up. A 4t will make you

A lazy rider, A 2t will make you a better rider.

Make sure you are riding with a finger on the clutch at all times if you currently aren't. I rode a WR400F for a few years and when I got back on a 2 stroke I realized I had gotten out of the habit of doing it. Probably because it took more than a finger or two to pull the clutch anyway. On my 200 I keep one finger on the trigger at all times and it really makes all the difference when riding in the point and shoot manner you describe.

One finger on the trigger, I like that 👍 on my 200 I am rarely more than a trigger pull away from not enough to as much as I want in the power department. I have learned if I screw up really bad and am 2 gears two high entering an uphill in some really tight single track to keep light pressure on the clutch lever and allow the clutch to slip just a little for a ways until the speed picks up. Its amazing how that can take the motor from not able to pull to right where you need it. Heck it makes it that much more fun to ride IMO.