Sign in to follow this  

CR250 Shift Issues

Hi All,

I just finished a total rebuild of my 2004 CR250 after a major seizure (had to get the cylinder replated too!)

Anyways got it all mounted back onto the frame and found the it wasnt shifting... was stuck. This threw me for a loop since it was shifting just fine by hand during assembly.

Took it the side cover off, pulled the clutch and all.....

Found that the shift star (drum?) was cockeyed.... Unbolted it and it seems that the pin on the drum wasnt aligned with the star... so I tried again... but it seems as if the pin is a hair too short to hook the shift star and that you have to bolt the two together just perfectly and tightly to get a match.

So what I've tried is to eyeball the alignment, thread the center bolt in and then pull on the center bolt while slowly screwing it in until its pushing them close enough to make contact. Does this sound right?

I did it this way and now it shifts but seems erratic... like I can shift from first to second just fine, but then going back down to first takes a lot of fiddling... maybe because its not running and/or full of fluid?? Or should it dry shift 1-N-2-3-4-5 and back without issue?

Just not wanting to put the whole thing back together again just not to have it function.

Thanks in advance for the help.

You can hold the spring loaded arm out of the way with a flat blade screwdriver and set the shift drum detent star in place and turn it until its lined up with the pin in the shift drum then tighten the bolt.

As far as the bike shifting hard. Most likely because the bike is not running. You can also double check and make sure it shifts through all of the gears by holding the shift lever down or up depending what gear u are shifting into while spinning the rear wheel.

Thanks, The issue I am having is that the pin doesnt seem long enough to catch the detent... only if you thread the bolt in and pull out thus pulling the drum out just a tad does it actually catch.. but then you have to keep pressure on that bolt while you screw it in.

:smashpc: let me guess you dont have a manual. for whatever reason it sounds to me like your just getting the star krooked. its tight tolerance and has to go in exactly straight to the shift drum and pin