Sign in to follow this  

What dirt bike would be best for me?

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked a thousand times.

But, I'm trying to get into some trail riding up in the Colorado Rockies.

So, some of the trails do include some very steep hills and etc.

I'm looking for a really good reliable four stroke bike. These are the ones

I am thinking about. A YZ250F / YZ450F / OR WR250F / WR450F

Main qualities of one of these bikes I am looking for, is Low end power enough to haul my rearend up the hill with no problem. Decent amount of speed. Also really like the qualities of the WR, ( Light, tail light, kickstand, etc ) I'm a intermediate rider & 6'1'' 205lb guy if that helps any.

All help will be appreciated, thanks all.

If you are an intermediate rider, I would steer clear of the 250s...especially since you loose some hp in that altitude. IMO, the Yamahas make the most reliable 250 out there, but they are still much higher maintenance than a big bore. I would recommend the WR450. I have a 2001 WR426 with some simple mods and its a beast...I love the bikes, but its not exactly (nor is the 450) light. They are about 270lbs with fuel. Another option for you might be a KTM 400 or 450 EXC. I know many people that ride them and they are very reliable and strong engines. I recently bought a KTM 300 XC and it is the best trail bike I have ever owned, light and nimble compared to the WR. Have you considered a 2t?

definitely a 450 or thereabouts

You can rent one locally for $125/day. Highly recommend. I did so & thus the reason why I am purchasing a bike after not riding for 8-years.

The 450's are heavier than what I personally want, me being 5'8" & 140lbs...go figure.

*grew up riding an XR200 (or 250, I forget) & a CR250 decked out for the track...road them everywhere....from roads across town to get to the trails, to gravels, made our own triple, etc