Sign in to follow this  

06 CRF450X Forks notes and questions

So I am currently rebuilding a set of forks from a 06 CRF450X for someone. This was my first time in a set of the CRF-X forks. I have noticed a couple of differences between CRF-X and CRF-R forks. First off, I noticed the bottoming cones on the CRF-X forks I am rebuilding are anodized green. Are these aftermarket bottoming cones or is that the way they come from the factory? I can put up picks if needed.

The next thing I noticed is that the preload spacer is thinner on the CRF-X forks than the CRF-R forks. I have included the spacer thickness below. So does having 4 mm less preload make that big of a difference? I would imagine that allows the rider to utilize more of the spring, thus using the "softer" portion of the spring for plushness over rough terrain.

06 CRF250R = 7.55 mm

06 CRF450X = 3.55 mm

The CRF250R forks are my spare set, and I am going to build them into a set of woods forks. I'll be doing my own revalving, along with a few accessories here and there, porting the spring seats, etc. I will probably machine a thinner preload spring and see how it works. I know FC already sells preload rings with 3 mm less preload.

Lastly, I am rebuilding the CRF-X forks because the brake side fork was leaking really bad. Upon inspection, I see a couple nicks on the chrome right around where the oil seal/dust seal are at static height. What procedure do you guys use for getting repairing where the nick is?

The x springs are 5mm longer and do have more preload than the r forks. I used some r springs for mine worked good.

Use some 600 wet sand paper and finish it up with 1500 for the knicks.

I wouldn't waste your time on the spring seats and focus on valving, spring rate, preload, oil level, etc. those forks are close and can be made into magic really easy!