Sign in to follow this  

TT 500 Site Glass

I have a 76 TT 500. While I'm getting better at cranking it I still get nervous about a kick back. I can get a site glass for the blank on my valve cover from ebay, but does anyone know what else I would need? Where does the mark come from?

I found the site glass useless and replaced mine with a blank cap. Finding the top of the compression stroke is obvious if your motor has any amount of compression, the valve lash is adjusted properly, and the decompression cable is adjusted properly. The other tips are, keep your idle adjusted properly, never touch the throttle when you kick/start the bike, keep the points adjusted properly, check that the kick "stopper" is intact (part #25 in the diagram linked below, these frequently break), and never lock your knee when you kick through.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1979-yamaha-xt500f/o/m8360#sch212854

It has a new top end and cranks easy. My thinking was it would be easier / faster to find tdc with the site glass. I'll try staying off the throttle because I do roll it on some when starting and get a kick back every now and then. I have found that finding the end of the compression stroke is easier if I don't use the compression release, just slower.

knudsen I could not get the link to open, but seems I need to quit being a puss and kick it.

Don't touch the decompression lever, slowly push the kick starter through until you can't push it easily (I can stand on mine when it gets near the top of the compression stroke), then pull in the compression release and push the kicker 1/4 stroke, release the compression release, and let the kicker come back to the top. Now give it a swift kick, no throttle and don't lock your knee. My bike usually starts first kick hot or cold.