Sign in to follow this  

Cant get my kick starter off!!!

HOWW!!! i undid the bolt, even took the WHOLE assembly apart. the bottom piece that fits onto the starter shaft and gear is STUCK on the starter shaft. it'll move 1/2 inch in and out like its ready to come off, but i cant take it all the way off. my manual says theres nothing else to take apart.... :smashpc:👍:busted:

i've soaked it overnight in WD-40, i dont know what else to do. gunnah hammer on it tomorrow, hopefully i dont brake anything.🤣

any suggestions?

I just took a screwdriver and leveraged off the frame and pryed it off as i wiggled the lever

I just took a screwdriver and leveraged off the frame and pryed it off as i wiggled the lever

Yup carefully use a big screwdriver, little bit at a time, work around kickstarter.

They're always a bitch. Just pulled mine yesterday when I split the cases. Even loaded up with antiseize, I had it off only a month ago. The first third always comes off easy by hand but it always hangs up a third of the way out. I've inspected the splines but don't see what causes the hangup????

Yeah, Eric Gorr once mentioned to me how hard it is to get those things off and he takes engines apart all the time, i guess it's just one of those things.... Good luck.

Why you posted pics in your other thread that shows everything off

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10715502#post10715502

yeah the kick starter assembly stayed ON the case piece. after those pics, i had to manually put things together upside down while i held the stopper, lined the case holes, meshed the start gear and pulled the spring down. WAS A BITCH 👍:banghead::ride::banghead::worthy:

finally got it running. it pulls real hard, o forgot what it was like to rip. been riding a slow 4 stroke 3 wheeler all this time.

side NOTE: i DID finally get the kick starter bottom mount off with pry bars and a buddy. glad i got it off, the kick starter was too far foreword, it was hitting my clutch cover and was making the starter gear grind (like when you hold the starter down while the engine is running)

everything is fixed now. running klotz ST @ 32:1 burns cleaner but my plug is still dark dark brown and black after sandpit ridding and general trail riding for 25 mins. going to get a new needle and slow jet. going to a 42 slow and a leaner needle.

eventually going to find an 04 carb or a new carb slide