Sign in to follow this  

1999 klx 300

tidy bike, about $1700 usd, ($1900 new zealand )

Any particular probs with this bike, am going to use it maybe twice a month for trail / forest rides with my old 41 year old mates.

Any common probs with this model?

Not looking for a racer, just something to keep up with the lads.:smashpc:

Check intake valve clearances. They tend to close up with use.

Check the idler gear in the kick start system. The bushing it rotates on wears and can cause major destruction.

Ride on

Brewster

There are several free mods on the website Planet KLX which I would recommend, especially opening up the air box and exhaust. After that it will depend on how much you want to spend.

but is this kickstart bush problem something I can check from the outside of the machine, ie a sloppy / wobbly kick start shaft or similar...i am about to do this deal i think....

but is this kickstart bush problem something I can check from the outside of the machine, ie a sloppy / wobbly kick start shaft or similar...i am about to do this deal i think....

Side case has to come off to check the idler gear. If the rest of the bike is in good shape, you can always check the idler gear after you buy the bike.

Ride on

Brewster

I had Brewster retime the ACR on my '99 right after I bought it used, about 10 years ago. By going to easy kick, the idler gear has less stress, and I replaced mine when I did the top end, about a year and a half ago.

I would agree with Brewster. If the bike is in good shape buy it. The idler is more of a maintenance issue but something that cannot be ignored as when they fail can cause significant damage. If you kick the bike following the stating sequence you likely will never have a problem. Good luck.

I drove about 1 hour with a wallet full of cash to pick her up, but the guy started it, it sounded quite mechanically noisey compared to the others I have heard, and on closer inspection, it has a crack in the left hand case with oil dripping out constantly, hence left it there.