Sign in to follow this  

How powerful?

I'm probably going to get a 2010 soon, but I always hear of people selling them because they are too powerful which worries me a bit. I'm coming off of a TTR225(not very powerful) but I've been riding for a while, so I feel I'm a pretty good rider. I figure if I just take it easy with the throttle than I can control it. I've considered getting a 250R but I won't be able to get a new bike for a long time, so I think I may get bored with it. So are these really all that hard to control or is it exaggerated? And if it matters, I'm 16, 170lbs(with gear), and 5' 7".

EDIT: And by a long time, I mean 3+ years, which is why I'm debating it.

EDIT2: Also should have mentioned that I'm not going to race, just use casually.

Edited by insertusernamehere

get crf 250. Your coming off from lazy 4 stroke, every mx bike would feel like rocket.

It never goes like getting bored to 250,maybe if riding road but thats boring anyways.

I've own 2x450r, just carb models thought. -08:ride: Perfect bikes.

Never rode 2010 model but what I've heard with fuel injection, it has a lot of USABLE power.

But getting 250 would actually teach you how to ride.

I got a 450r as my first bike. It's fine for me but I do have a lot of road racing experience. My friends who are also new to dirtbikes don't like to ride the 450. They say it has too much power for them. It does have a lot of power and pulls harder off the line then some of the liter bikes i've ridden. If you are coming from a ttr then it would be a huge difference for you.

It's all about what you are comfortable with. I rode an rmz 250 when i was looking for my first dirtbike. They still have a ton of power and you'd probably be very happy with a 4 stroke 250.

Just my opinion... i would say go with the 450. Everyone that I know that bought a 250F got used to it and decided they wanted a 450, especially if you ride with other 450's!! Save the troubles and skip that step. I went from an xr100 to a 6 year break to a 450R. no problem at all. the power is totally manageable, i mean how isn't it? its all about the turn of the wrist. give it a lot of gas you get a lot of power, stay off the gas and you will have minimum power. just be really careful until you become comfortable with bike and then you speed will progress. i would not be scared or tempted by the bad experience of others!

If I were your age I would buy the CRF250F and learn to ride that well. They are funner bikes than the 450s in my opinion. Although the '09 up 450s are much smaller than the '05-08 (which is what I have).

But every time I rode a buddies 250F I wished I had one to play on. They are a blast. But I learned to ride on the 450F and don't have the time to "relearn" how to ride a 250F as it takes a bit more shifting and technique to really ride well. That will eventually carryover to a 450 but it's harder to get used to being lazy on a 450 and then try and ride a 250F fast!

Jumping to too big bike would make you slow forever. You can see that everyday at track. People riding 450r thinking they are fast but they got passed by 85cc.

Ofc you can handle the power. Throttle wide open, theres really not that big difference big or small 4 stroke. Our tracks are most of sand but still.

My opinion was totally based on the assumption he would be using this bike as a recreational bike, the 225 didn't make me think he wanted to race MX. From a racing perspective i totally agree with the rest of you. Disregard my original comment if you were talking race bike.

Jumping to too big bike would make you slow forever. You can see that everyday at track. People riding 450r thinking they are fast but they got passed by 85cc.

Ofc you can handle the power. Throttle wide open, theres really not that big difference big or small 4 stroke. Our tracks are most of sand but still.

My opinion was totally based on the assumption he would be using this bike as a recreational bike, the 225 didn't make me think he wanted to race MX. From a racing perspective i totally agree with the rest of you. Disregard my original comment if you were talking race bike.

I'm not going to race it or even use it in any tight stuff, pretty much desert and a bit of street.

Edited by insertusernamehere

Take this for what it's worth: I used to ride a '93 YZ 250. (about 8 years ago) At that time I weighed 230 lbs. That bike was stupid fast, and I had 60 lbs on you, no gear.

(2 stroke I realize, but still a MX bike)

These days, I'm on a CRF450R (2004, carburetor model) and I weigh 180, no gear...Plain and simple, this bike will never be completely mastered and fully usable by me. The power output of these machines in their designated environment (the R model being a track bike) is incredible, plain and simple. The speed they produce, and the time they produce it in is intimidating if you've never been on one.

I actually bought a kx80 this past summer just to have something to "practice" on, because the 450 is too much bike for just screwing around...no lie!

Remember this: modern 4 stroke motors in today's dirtbikes are nothing less than scaled down Formula racing engines. Super short piston skirt, lightweight internals, ridiculous rev limits. Coming off a TTR, my humble opinion is that it's just too much of a gap to try and bridge. You get hurt now, you might be "gun-shy" of a 450 forever, and that'd be a shame, because they are awesome, if you're ready for them (no one truly ever is:busted:)

If you've got your heart set on a 450, why not look into the X models? Slightly de-tuned, lights for the street, and no shortage of power for you! In the end, you'll be the deciding factor, but think it through. 450's a helluva bike to go to from what you're on.

Edited by hodgey450

Take this for what it's worth: I used to ride a '93 YZ 250. (about 8 years ago) At that time I weighed 230 lbs. That bike was stupid fast, and I had 60 lbs on you, no gear.

These days, I'm on a CRF450R (2004, carburetor model) and I weigh 180, no gear...Plain and simple, this bike will never be completely mastered and fully usable by me. The power output of these machines in their designated environment (the R model being a track bike) is incredible, plain and simple. The speed they produce, and the time the produce it in is intimidating if you've never been on one.

I actually bought a kx80 this past summer just to have something to "practice" on, because the 450 is too much bike for just screwing around...no lie!

Remember this: modern 4 stroke motors in today's dirtbikes are nothing less than scaled down Formula racing engines. Super short piston skirt, lightweight internals, ridiculous rev limits. Coming off a TTR, my humble opinion is that it's just too much of a gap to try and bridge. You get hurt now, you might be "gun-shy" of a 450 forever, and that'd be a shame, because they are awesome, if you're ready for them (no one truly ever is:busted:)

If you've got your heart set on a 450, why not look into the X models? Slightly de-tuned, lights for the street, and no shortage of power for you! In the end, you'll be the deciding factor, but think it through. 450's a helluva bike to go to from what you're on.

Before I got my 09, I would have said the same thing.

I had a 06 crf450 that I sold because it felt too big and had too much power. then I saw an 09. feels like a 250. got on tt and learned about all the ways to detune it.

I took the chance and bought one. sent the ecm to Eddie Sisners (tt jetting guy) and told him I wanted it to run like a crf350r. he retarded the timing for the first half throttle then adjusted the fuel injection to match for 50 bucks. I also put a g-2 throttle cam system (reduces the rate of cable pull for the first half throttle), heavier flywheel, and hydraulic clutch on it and now it's the perfect bike, can't imagine a better bike for me. it feels like a xr450 motor on a crf250 chassis

I go down more on my 250 that this 450, it actually gets better traction than the 250 because I don't have to clutch it. as a matter of fact, It has yet to hit the ground.

Now, from half to full throttle it's still close to stock, but it's the first half that's usually the problem.

There are pros and cons of each. the power of the 250 is more managable but they are grenades when it comes to maintinence depending on how hard you are on them. a 450 is is a ton more power but you dont need to use it all. if you are looking at a 2010 the power is pretty managable. efi smooths it out a ton. i went from an 08 crf450 to a 2012 and its a world of differnce in power and handling.

These days, I'm on a CRF450R (2004, carburetor model) and I weigh 180, no gear...Plain and simple, this bike will never be completely mastered and fully usable by me. The power output of these machines in their designated environment (the R model being a track bike) is incredible, plain and simple. The speed they produce, and the time the produce it in is intimidating if you've never been on one.

I would get a 450x, but as I stated before, there isn't much of a choice. As in, the 250r and 450r are the only dirt bikes that I've found(aside from a kx450f for $10,000)

Ive never thought it a good idea for a relatively inexperienced rider go from a 9 horsepower bike to one with 50 without at least one step in the middle.

As I said before, this is going to be my last bike for a long time(3+ years) so I can't get a 250 then upgrade in a year, especially considering the value drops substantially as soon as you walk out the door(buying new).

Ive never thought it a good idea for a relatively inexperienced rider go from a 9 horsepower bike to one with 50 without at least one step in the middle.

I have to agree with Shawn's logic but at the same time I have to say I'm guilty of not following it. I never owned a bike until a few months ago. I rode back when I was 16-18 on friends bikes/atv's but nothing I'd say to make me experienced in any sense of the word. Keep in mind I'm 33 now.

I ended up getting a smoking deal on a 2004 CRF450R. I ride with some pretty seasoned trail riders to include one with a KTM525. My 450 is faster and has more bottom end than any other bike that I ride with even by their own admission. It is definately more bike that I should be learning to ride on but I also know my limits/abilities. Its only as fast as you want it to be but it sure is tempting to crank on it.

I've had it down twice messing around in the coal silt which is similar to sand and only lost a brake lever.

Keep in mind that CRF450's are also known to have issues with the intake valves on the older models. I just did mine about a month ago.

If I had it to do again I'd still take the 450 but if I was 16 and had it I'm 100% sure I'd be in a cast at some point from it. Its a fine balance of brains vs balls.

How powerful? Hmmm.....

Does "gorilla on crack" sound about right to everyone else? 👍

I'm 6'4" 220lbs and been riding on and off for ~15 years. I STILL find my 450 to be a bit much at times, but it sure is fun!

I don't think you realize how much power the 250 has compared to your current bike. It is unlikely that you'll outgrow it in 3 years. You might never get bored of the 250 and there are lots of things that you can do to get more power out of it if you need to. A few of the pro offroad riders around here ride 250s. You have to remember that lap times between these bikes are pretty darn close in the hands of the professionals.

I have a 450 and a 250. I have to tell you the only reason I have the 450 is to race on the ice in the winter, the 250 is more fun almost all of the time.

I don't think you realize how much power the 250 has compared to your current bike. It is unlikely that you'll outgrow it in 3 years. You might never get bored of the 250 and there are lots of things that you can do to get more power out of it if you need to. A few of the pro offroad riders around here ride 250s. You have to remember that lap times between these bikes are pretty darn close in the hands of the professionals.

I have a 450 and a 250. I have to tell you the only reason I have the 450 is to race on the ice in the winter, the 250 is more fun almost all of the time.

👍