Sign in to follow this  

08 SMR450 sat for a year and needs EFI help

I emptied the tank and put fresh gas and sea foam in. The fuel pump kicks on, its getting spark..but no cigar. i sprayed a bit of starting fluid in the air box and it fired up for a few seconds.

I'm a bit hesitant to pull off the throttlebody or "hybrid carb" on this bike. Does it have removable fuel jets and can it pretty easily be re-buildable and cleaned? The manual has no info.

Appreciate the help!!

I would be caferful spraying starter fluid into an EFI bike. That might cause some electrical issues with the EFI. As for the sitting for a year, these bikes have no float bowl, so there really is no issue with old fuel sitting and clogging anything up as long as you drain the tank. Keep at it, it will fire up. Apparently you have spark, or it would not have fired up when you sprayed ethyr in there........

With EFI you need to pull the fuel line from the tank to the injector to also get the old fuel out since the fuel between the two is captive. I would pull the injector feed and cover with a rag and turn the key to purge the pump and line. Taking off the injector and soaking it in an ultrasonic could help, but just getting the old fuel out of the feed line will probably do the trick if the injector isn't sticking.

Prob the injector is gummed up.

Once you have it out, and give it a good cleaning you will be temped to test run it to make sure the thing is spraying fuel.

DO NOT fire the injector at your hand or any part of your body. The fuel comes out with enough force to be injected right through your skin. Close enough and it will open up your hand like a knife. Then you will have to not only have the wound sewn up but the fuel cleaned out of the raw flesh ..... which will hurt like hell!

no shit hah?! thanks! u possibly just saved me an ER trip and it gets a little pricey without medical.

Its my 1st experience working on EFI, better yet, owning something EFI. (my cars have antique plates and I have Z50 pitbikes)

Prob the injector is gummed up.

Once you have it out, and give it a good cleaning you will be temped to test run it to make sure the thing is spraying fuel.

DO NOT fire the injector at your hand or any part of your body. The fuel comes out with enough force to be injected right through your skin. Close enough and it will open up your hand like a knife. Then you will have to not only have the wound sewn up but the fuel cleaned out of the raw flesh ..... which will hurt like hell!

Good to know:thumbsup: BTW, I have never really had my EFI apart on my Husq......If I pulled the airboot off the back of the EFI, can I look in and see the injectors? Is it that simple, or more to it?

Hogwash on half of this, you aren't going to cut open anything with an injector. It's 47psi, not 470!!!

Anyway, remove the injector. Do no "soak" it in anything, it is basically an electromagnetic coil that will be ruined if fluid enters the winding area. Get a 9v battery and rig up some leads to power up the injector. like a bulb, it doesn't care which way it is powered, with regards to polarity. Next, get a piece of fuel line that fits snugly over the end of the injector. Fill the line with carb cleaner, then power up the injector to open it and allow the carbcleaner to enter the injector. I then force it with compressed air through the injector. Do it both directions, but always finish going "backwards" through the injector. If there is evidence of severe blockage at the injector holes, you can LIGHTLY poke thm out with a fine, sharp needle. Never force it in or otherwise alter the hole size. Do not leave the injector powered up for long periods of time, a few seconds each cycle. You will see the spray pattern when forcing through in the forward direction, and can determine if it looks uniform. There will be no need (or reasonable way) to "test run" it.

I have had resonable success cleaning many injectors on many sportbikes using this method. As someone else suggested, do cycle the pump with the injector out, to purge the pump/lines/rail.

Good to know:thumbsup: BTW, I have never really had my EFI apart on my Husq......If I pulled the airboot off the back of the EFI, can I look in and see the injectors? Is it that simple, or more to it?

The injector can be removed without pulling the airboot. You can see the injector in the throat as a round piece, just past the throttle plate. The fuel line will lead directly to the injector which will be "sandwiched" between the fuelline and the throttle body by some means, with an oring at either end. There will also be a 2p electrical connector going to it.👍