Sign in to follow this  

New 450 xc-w or 350 xcf-w

Which one? As dealer will let me ride both since I'm buying new, BUT...really hard to tell in the parking lot if it's worth getting the 450 for that extra power; really like how the 350 is little lighter.

I am not an expert rider, but do know what I'm doing and like mountain riding.

Thus, go with the 450 for that extra power, or will the 350 really be enough?

I'll be dammed if I know man, I'm kinda in the same boat.

Ready to move up from a KLX 300.

If you/I go for the 350 EXC-F, and decide down the road that there Isn't enough grunt, there is a big bore option that will get you to 400cc.

I'll be dammed if I know man, I'm kinda in the same boat.

Ready to move up from a KLX 300.

If you/I go for the 350 EXC-F, and decide down the road that there Isn't enough grunt, there is a big bore option that will get you to 400cc.

Yes you can modify the 350, but at what cost? I rode with a young guy who has a 350 SX-F and he seemed very happy with it. I also read an article in Dirt Rider magazine about the 350. Im not convinced its been proven. The 400 and 450 EXC has, case closed.

In the same boat...going to order one. Keep going back and forth....hmmmmm.....they both have serious power Im sure. For really tight woods???

i bought a 2010 450 sxf and set it up for woods riding its really light but the power is a little much though i would love to buy a 350 i think that would be the way to go

While I understand the issue of weight I would not base your decision on "too much power". It's a 4-stroke. The power delivery is predicable and rolls smooth or rapid - up to you! If you don't want "too much power" then don't apply it.

Don't forget about torque. In tight technical sections torque will get you out of more trouble, more often then you realize because you have extra grunt. For example my YZ250f was one of the lightest 4 strokes I've owned. Very flickable, fast and responsive. However it was missing the low end grunt of bigger bores that allowed one to be a gear too low and still push up, over or through. After a tight switchback presents you with a large root to wheelie over you might just land on your arse if you can't pop over it. And that rock garden that bobbles you off the pegs might just stall you if you're on a small bore. Round a corner and face a steep climb.... well you get the idea. So pay attention to the torque too. If the weight difference isn't much go for the grunt. You will likely find yourself noting the times when you wouldn't have made it on a lesser bike.

I have a 530 EXC and it is a bit heavier than bikes I've had in the past. I often find myself riding very tight stuff. And while there are some sections I'd wish I had my 250f, I can't say that the overall trade off (to a 250f) is worth it. I have yet to find trails where my 250f would turn a faster overall time - quite the contrary. I'm sure they exist but in my experience it is exceedingly rare.

So if I were looking at a 350 that's what would be in the front of my mind.

Edited by nuetrino