Sign in to follow this  

Valve shims diameter: 9.48mm or 9.5mm?

I have decided to get shim kits for all my bikes including the Z, but different shops are saying different things: some are telling I need 9.48mm shims for my DRZ-400S K9, others are trying to sell me 9.5mm shims.

:smashpc:

Also what shim kits is everyone using?

I found the info that HOT CAMS shims are not so good, so what's the alternative?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much guys!

I;m ordering a 9.48mm HotCams kit then! :smashpc:

Is there a reason for this? I thought about this, but I decided against it. Eighty dollars for a kit you will not use most of is a bit steep. Do you have a local shop around? If you have a good rapport with them, they should just swap out your shims. I calculated the clearance and took my old shims in and they swapped them for free.

Is there a reason for this? I thought about this, but I decided against it. Eighty dollars for a kit you will not use most of is a bit steep. Do you have a local shop around? If you have a good rapport with them, they should just swap out your shims. I calculated the clearance and took my old shims in and they swapped them for free.

Lots of reasons..none of them have too's, so to each his own.:smashpc:

1: My time is worth more then $80.. going to a dealer to ask (beg) to swap shims takes time, driving, down and back, standing around...

2: Very few shops will trade shims, do a search, here, you'll see a few that said a shop did, and MANY that said a shop would not (or could not because they do not keep shims in the service section, but order what they need each time, each bike from the parts department)

3: Even with 4.0 math skills, getting the perfect (perfect, not just anyplace in the very wide OEM spec) shim in all four spots the first time is tough.. so now two trips to that dealer?

4: Many prefer to reach over to the spares shelf and have parts on hand, even at a cost above buying 4 $7 shims or traded for others.

5: some folks buy the kit, because they do a lot of work on DRZ's (or other bikes that use the same shims.. I own three bikes that use the 7.48mm shim, I work on dozens of others)

6: Some folks buy a kit, and then pass it around to other like shim using bike owners.. Pay as you go deal.. you put your old shims in the box, and take what you need. if you take the last one of "that" size, you put $5.00 in the box.. the "owner" or keeper of the box, orders new shims when needed.

Personally, for me, even if i had only one bike that used 7.48mm shims, even if I was only going to take the cams out of that one motor once. I'd spend $80 to have a shim kit sent to my front door, and know, the parts I need were on the shelf. $80 for convenience sake if nothing else. Then sell the "used kit" for $50 or so.

Different folks spend money on different things.

I know lots of people that spend $80-100 a night 1-2 nights a week at bars or clubbing. Then piss it away...👍

Whats a pack of cigs cost these days? x 1 week, x a month?

or... or... or..

I spend money on bikes, machine tools, tooling, tools, Mustangs, Toy-haulers, ohhhh, and my wife (in case she is reading this) and spare parts... :busted:

Probable have 500-700 shims on the self, covering 3 different sizes for 9 different shim using motors I work on..... regularly... and thats nothing.. Id bet a Tech like Eddie has a few thousand shims in a large filing system. I wish I could find a shop or tech going out of BIz and buy his stock,,,, That would be nice.

I'm afraid there's no chance to find a good shop in Russia.

And no one will agree to swap anything for free over here.

Bike shops in Moscow don't keep any shims in stock.

If you bring your bike over to them for a valve job, they'll measure the clearances and order single shims from abroad, so people have to wait sometimes months before they get their bikes back.

I'd better buy a full kit for eighty dollars and share shims with friends but I'll not leave it standing for months.

I'm afraid there's no chance to find a good shop in Russia.

And no one will agree to swap anything for free over here.

Bike shops in Moscow don't keep any shims in stock.

If you bring your bike over to them for a valve job, they'll measure the clearances and order single shims from abroad, so people have to wait sometimes months before they get their bikes back.

I'd better buy a full kit for eighty dollars and share shims with friends but I'll not leave it standing for months.

Makes sense in a situation like that.

I live 15 miles from the nearest shop and they don't stock any drz parts. It's 25 miles to the next shop I refuse to do business with. I picked up a used kit on ebay for $45. Figured I could sell it for near that.