Sign in to follow this  

Tire mounting ?'s

This may be a silly question but I have to ask, because Im starting to get frustrated. I just got my new tires and guess what, I got the tire on only to find out that I put a hole in my tube durring the install.

Ive been mounting my own tires since I started riding. Every time I get the tire on and go to inflate it I end up with a hole in the tube so I have to run to the shop and grab another one, take the tire back off, install the fresh tube and put the tire back on again. Its not that big of a deal but the $$$ is starting to add up and its alot of wasted time trying to get a fresh tire on the rim when it should be a 20 min job.

I always get it on the second try without putting a hole in it, but why does it never fail that I pop the old one? I dont think Ive ever gotten a new tire on without putting a hole in the first tube.

I always put baby powder in the tire so the tube will move a little easier, I always use the windex trick when getting the bead set. Ive tried different irons/spoons, bead buddies, a little air in the tube to keep it from pinching between the rim and tire etc. and still end up popping the first one. Im at a loss here, and it doesnt make any sense that I should be wasting this many perfectly good tubes and Ive tried everything I can think of. Ive watched youtube vids and followed them to the letter and I still manage to pop one, while they make it look effortless.

Anyone have any tips or tricks that Im missing, or have any ideas why it happens every single time? As often as I change tires you would think I would have it figured out by now.:smashpc:

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Yes because I check it (reinflate it) before I bother putting it back in... I have to be popping it while Im mounting the tire. No matter how much attention I pay to not pinch the tube between the rim and irons it still ends up with a hole in it.

Dont roll your tire irons passed 90 degrees...that's where you are pinching the tube.

Wax on....wax off....wax on....wax off....

Youtube how to change dirt bike tires. use windex or a alchol basded liquid, because then when you set your bead on your tire the alchol will vaporate and then there will be tire then rim with no slick resido on the rim to make it slip. Tire that slips, will rip your air valve out of the tube.

Youtube how to change dirt bike tires. use windex or a alchol basded liquid, because then when you set your bead on your tire the alchol will vaporate and then there will be tire then rim with no slick resido on the rim to make it slip. Tire that slips, will rip your air valve out of the tube.

I do that... read original post...

Use more air in the tube. If you use as much as possible, while still able to spoon on the tire, you'll never have a pinch. I always use a bit too much, then let out just enough to get the tire on and it works well, haven't had a pinch in years.

• Like 1

Use more air in the tube. If you use as much as possible, while still able to spoon on the tire, you'll never have a pinch. I always use a bit too much, then let out just enough to get the tire on and it works well, haven't had a pinch in years.

Makes sense.. more air would eliminate the chance that the tube could get between the rim and tire.

When using the tire iron don't go past 90 degrees or vertical with the tire iron when installing the tire.

I do it all the time too from getting tire spoon too far in and pulling on tube with bead just take your time a be careful

I would just patch the tubes and reuse them, every once in awhile i have the same problem. Patch kits are cheaper than tubes.

I would just patch the tubes and reuse them, every once in awhile i have the same problem. Patch kits are cheaper than tubes.

Id rather just learn to mount them correctly and not have to worry about it.

About the only thing that would piss me off more than having to take the new tire back off to replace the tube would be getting a flat durring a race because my patch failed.

What do you mean dont roll them past 90 degrees?

Sorry for my ignorance but I cant picture what you are saying...

When using the tire iron don't go past 90 degrees or vertical with the tire iron when installing the tire.

This ^

When I insert the iron between the tire and rim, I make certain I haven't grabbed the tube before I start levering. It's become second nature, I do it by feel. You can "feel" metal to metal if you know what I mean.

Thats partially right... What I do is use a ton baby powder on the tube and the inside of the tire. Use a beefy rim lock or two. What kills tubes, si when the tire spins and takes the tube with it. With the baby powder, the tube can shift inside the wheel and not go with the tire if it spins.

Don't be in a hurry when you change a tire in the garage. Work in smaller increments (ie move only 2" over from the last location you were working) It will be a lot easier on your tools and rims too. Also when you go in to grab the edge of the rim with the spoon make sure you do not go too far. The last section is always the trickiest for me, I try to use three irons at once, spread out evenly.

Best and easiest trick out there, Nutech Tubliss system. Bet you already spent more on replacement tubes than the tubliss setup would have cost you....!

Let the tire sit in the sun and it will install much easier. Usually you will pop the tube on the last or next to last grab or pull so be extra careful at that point and like others said, dont ram the iron down past 90^.