Sign in to follow this  

I Can't get my xr500 started after its warm

I have put my 1983 xr500 together using an 1984 xl600 lower end and barrel, xr 500 head, xl600 header, xr 500 carbs, and xr500 flywheel. It starts fine when its cold but I cant get it to light when its warm by kicking it. I am using a larger main jet in the secondary carb, but I don't think that would throw it off.

To me it seems rich, and stumbles at idle. please let me know what you think

thanks

I have put my 1983 xr500 together using an 1984 xl600 lower end and barrel, xr 500 head, xl600 header, xr 500 carbs, and xr500 flywheel. It starts fine when its cold but I cant get it to light when its warm by kicking it. I am using a larger main jet in the secondary carb, but I don't think that would throw it off.

To me it seems rich, and stumbles at idle. please let me know what you think

thanks

That is the classic symptom of an intake valve that is too tight; Adjust your valves.

I reset the valves and seems to start better I am going out ridding tomorrow it will be the real test thanks for the direction

Agreed!!But if that didn't help...

Also check the # 1 carb float level real close. I had the same problem with that same year,I tried everything! I had set it per a manual for an 84. It was too high\rich and would never start when hot.

I reset the valves and seems to start better I am going out ridding tomorrow it will be the real test thanks for the direction

You may need a valve job. A bike that old will just plain corrode at the valve seats, and start to leak.