Sign in to follow this  

Silly tire mounting question?

This may be a silly question but I have to ask, because Im starting to get frustrated. I just got my new tires and guess what, I got the tire on only to find out that I put a hole in my tube durring the install.

Ive been mounting my own tires since I started riding. Every time I get the tire on and go to inflate it I end up with a hole in the tube so I have to run to the shop and grab another one, take the tire back off, install the fresh tube and put the tire back on again. Its not that big of a deal but the $$$ is starting to add up and its alot of wasted time trying to get a fresh tire on the rim when it should be a 20 min job.

I always get it on the second try without putting a hole in it, but why does it never fail that I pop the old one? I dont think Ive ever gotten a new tire on without putting a hole in the first tube.

I always put baby powder in the tire so the tube will move a little easier, I always use the windex trick when getting the bead set. Ive tried different irons/spoons, bead buddies, a little air in the tube to keep it from pinching between the rim and tire etc. and still end up popping the first one. Im at a loss here, and it doesnt make any sense that I should be wasting this many perfectly good tubes and Ive tried everything I can think of. Ive watched youtube vids and followed them to the letter and I still manage to pop one, while they make it look effortless.

Anyone have any tips or tricks that Im missing, or have any ideas why it happens every single time? As often as I change tires you would think I would have it figured out by now.:smashpc:

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

that is a bummer. tubes aint cheap either. are you starting at the rimlock and working your way around when installing the bead? are you tightening the rim lock alot prior to install of the final bead? if you do this the rim lock can pinch the tube. are you tightening the valve stem nuts too much?

• Like 1

When you put the 2nd tube in, the new one. Do you leave it completely deflated and flattened out? That might be the difference.

I know lots of people like a little air in the tube to give it some shape but I always have the tube completely flattened and make it lay up into the back of the tire. That way it is as far as possible from the rim and bead and less likely to get pinched.

When you pinch the tube and then remove it are you paying attention to where it is getting pinched relative to the wheel? The rim-lock is a tricky spot and lots of times the tube gets between the rim lock and the rim. Be extra careful there.

Also, each time you insert a tire iron, check with your eyes and finger that you are only biting the rim and don't have a hold of the tube before you pry it over.

• Like 1

Yes I always start at the rim lock, but I never tighten it until I have the entire bead installed. Same goes for the valve stem nut, I dont even put it all the way down to the rim, even after the tire is installed I leave about a cm gap.

When you put the 2nd tube in, the new one. Do you leave it completely deflated and flattened out? That might be the difference.

I know lots of people like a little air in the tube to give it some shape but I always have the tube completely flattened and make it lay up into the back of the tire. That way it is as far as possible from the rim and bead and less likely to get pinched.

When you pinch the tube and then remove it are you paying attention to where it is getting pinched relative tot he wheel? The rim-lock is a tricky spot and lots of times the tube gets between the rim lock and the rim. Be extra careful there.

Yes its usually half way between the rim lock and the valve stem, never actually right on the rim lock. I usually leave a tad bit of air in the tube just to give it a little shape, but flat enough that it will move and not want to pop into the area between the rim and tire.

I had the same problem, tires are really not my favorite. I lay them into the sun, use talcum on the tube and beads of the tire, inflate the tube just enough to stiffen it up. Something like the tube becomes inflated about an 1.5 inches thickness. About the max before it comes too difficult to put the tube into the tire. But I use heavy duty tubes and standard tire irons.

I think the air is the trick, it makes it difficult for the tube to push itself between bead and rim or whatever causes a pinch.

Good luck :smashpc:

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip Arne!

I have always used a little air in the tube, just maybe not enough?

Leaving it completely deflated so it will lay flat against the back of the tire makes sense too... maybe Im just right in between the right amounts.

I hate tires and tubes so much. Like when I get it all mounted up than hit it with air and I hear that whistle as it goes flat and I just want to start crying. I've been really lucky that I haven't had any flats in a long time but I'm gonna need tires soon and I'm dreading it. I used to have a shop that if you bought the tires from them they would mount them for free. But they closed up.

I know... thats exactly what happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME! I think a tear may have fell this time because I was so frustrated, and thats what led me to this post. The wheels are still laying on the garage floor with flat tires from saturday, because I didnt have the patience to try again and probably would have ended up breaking something so I decided it was probably better to walk away.

My local shop wants $50 to mount the pair... Ill pass on that considering its half the money I paid for my tires! Ill figure it out one of these days.

Shops uih better not, at least locally once I tried that, cheap job but the rim lock was gone after that. Gone like being 2 parts after that.

I use even more air than this

I have the rim lock in before and lay the rubberband above the rim locks.

I neither lube the tire I use talcum, baby powder smells nicely too :smashpc:

What the guy recommends with the large tire irons he's right mine are small something like 25cm, good work out.

I know... thats exactly what happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME! I think a tear may have fell this time because I was so frustrated, and thats what led me to this post. The wheels are still laying on the garage floor with flat tires from saturday, because I didnt have the patience to try again and probably would have ended up breaking something so I decided it was probably better to walk away.

My local shop wants $50 to mount the pair... Ill pass on that considering its half the money I paid for my tires! Ill figure it out one of these days.

This used to happen to me all the friggin time. I hasn't happend in a couple years since I got the right tire irons and slowed down.

You sound like you know what you are doing, but for the sake of review, here's what I do.

1. put just a little air in the tube to give it some shape.

2. put some baby powder in a garbage bag. Put the tube in there and shake it. It will cover the tube in baby powder

3. put the tube inside the tire. I do the valve stem last. (just my preference)

4. use the "CORRECT" tire irons, which are the long ones with the rounded edges. The short ones are good on the trail, but don't screw around with them with brand new tires.

For the sake of reference, you need the bead buddy tool to hold things in place. Then you need two of these. (notice the nice round edges)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/133/28467/ITEM/Bikemaster-Heavy-Duty-Tire-Iron.aspx

If you have this one, get rid of it because it has razor sharp edges (ask me how I know) This tire iron costs less than the tube.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0007/

5. put the bead over the rim lock, then place the bead buddy tool over the spokes right next to it.

6. Then work the tire on "slowly" using the correct tire irons. With those rounded edges, a little air and the baby poweder, it simply won't catch or pinch anything

7. take small bites and go slowly. I do use a little soapy water solution to help the last little bit of the tire slip on. You are done.

8. spray more of the soapy water . I normally inflate to about 60lbs or more to guarantee that the bead is set. Then I deflate to the correct pressure.

My tire changing stand is just a 5 gallon bucket. It works and it only cost $5.

I have not pinched a tube once I changed tire irons and started going slower.

Hey, one thing no one has mentioned... after you remove the tube from the old tire are you inflating it to check for leaks before you put it in the new tire? You might be pinching it on the de-install and not on the re-install. Just a thought.

Also, I know lots of people like the rounded tire irons but I absolutely love these. Been using them for about 30 years.

0000-Motocentric-16-Tire-Tool---.jpg

You can use that big hump, I call it the heel of the iron, to pry down against the tire and then you can see in and check that you are not grabbing the tube. Works great.

Tire irons are tunable. And you should tune them or replace them if you are pinching your tubes with them.

[boring story] I had these ancient Emgo tire irons that never pinched a tube. The were thick however and somewhat difficult to work with. I bought some Honda tire irons. They were nice and thin. But they pinched tubes because they had more material past the curve that grabbed the edge of the rim.

So I broke out a saw and a couple of files and went to work giving the Honda Irons a more Emgo-like overhang. The ported and polished Honda irons don't pinch tubes any more and the Emgos are collecting dust. [/boring story]

Thanks for the tips everyone... my tire irons are nice and rounded. I always inflate the tubes after I take them out before I reinstall them (or attempt to anyways) to check for leaks.

I may give it another shot tonight using some of these techniques to see how things go. Gotta drive by the shop on the way home from work so I might as well pick up the tubes while Im driving by.

Hate to say it guys but I love changing tires, takes literally minutes. My challenge is always to see if I can get the whole first side of the tire on by hand :smashpc:

As far as pinching tubes the key is air in the tube when mounting. You want enough air in the tube so it's fully inflated but you can easily fold it over in a 180 degree fold with your hands. Then when you put your tube in the rim make sure the tube is completely seated all the way around the rim. Now small bites (lots of soapy water) and if it is taking any force with the irons, work on pushing the already mounted part of the tire into the bead rather than reefing on irons.

And the warmer the tire and tube, the easier things are.

^I dont mind it either and it usually only takes me 10-15 mins or so to get the old one off and the new one on... I love wrenching on my bikes. Its the hole I put in the tubes that makes me hate it.

Thanks for the tips though, Ill give it another shot tonight and see if I can get it this time around using the things Ive learned from you guys.

I always used to put holes in mine too.

HD tubes fixed this problem mostly. And they last longer too.

You want a hassle? Try mounting a bib mousse.:smashpc:

Sounds like you know what you are doing but have had a run of bad luck. The HD tubes do help, they aren't as prone to the tiny little pinches that would hurt a standard tube.

I can tell you one fool proof method I stumbled upon when I was having your luck. You say you need to run out a get a new tube? Buy two. When you have a spare tube all ready and prepped to go, the cosmic forces behind the karma Gods are stumped and don't know how to derail your plans. I have had the same spare tube here for over a year (about 10 tire changes).

It works, you can thank me later.

• Like 1

Im waiting for my tire to come in the mail today then ill post some pics on how i do it.

You could use tu bliss. I have it under my trials tire. You cant pinch them