Sign in to follow this  

Winter project, 1998 XR650L with some "issues"

Hi, found a deal on Craigslist, 1998 XR650L for $500. I thought, the front and rear wheels were worth that, so I dropped the dough on it. When I picked it up, I was met with a mixed bag. The good, Clarke 4.7 gallon tank that looked good, seat in excellent shape, White Brothers Exhaust e-Series exhaust. The bad, tires bald and slack, pretty good bushing wear on swing arm and shock. The ugly, the top end is in a box all apart and the piston and sleve have significant scoring. I thought I'd share a few pics of the pig:

030.jpg

(Sorry for the shadows)

029.jpg

033.jpg

035.jpg

037.jpg

(This probably means I'm going to have to bore it and go with an oversized piston!):smashpc:

039.jpg

036.jpg

(Cam journals not bad, little discoloration, but smooth with no scoring. Looking like a Stage 1 Hot Cam might be right at home there:thumbsup:)

032.jpgAnyway, probably going to rob the pipe and tank for my 2001 'cause there better than what I have. I think I'm going to try to rebuild the engine over the winter if the parts are worth it. The bike had 11,000 miles on it and only had the piston problem because the guy tried to change his own oil and the frame "only took 1 quart" before he started having it come out the fill tube, so he thought it was full...

Anyone have any concerns based on what the pictures show? Thanks!

Make sure your oil pump is not clogged and working before you fire it up after your re-build and there are no extra parts laying in the bottom of the crank case.

looks like an ok deal to me, I'll take the motor off your hands..looks like a great 724 big bore project to me.

It looks like it's on the stock bore and rocker box and head look good.

Hows the crank?

I'll give ya 300 smackers for the motor.

It doesn't look like oil starvation to me. The valvetrain is in great shape from what I can tell. It looks more to me like it seriously overheated.

wanna sell it

LOL! Thanks, but I think I'll hang on to this for now!

It doesn't look like oil starvation to me. The valvetrain is in great shape from what I can tell. It looks more to me like it seriously overheated.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm going on what I was told by the previous owner. I've run these in Maine for years, and I haven't seen them get very hot often in this climate. Said it had a recent Dynajet kit..... hmmmm.

Make sure your oil pump is not clogged and working before you fire it up after your re-build and there are no extra parts laying in the bottom of the crank case.

Great advice, thanks!:smashpc:

QUOTE=pwrpapa;10714267]looks like an ok deal to me, I'll take the motor off your hands..looks like a great 724 big bore project to me.

It looks like it's on the stock bore and rocker box and head look good.

Hows the crank?

I'll give ya 300 smackers for the motor.

Appreciate the offer, 👍 but I think I'm gonig to rebuild it over the winter. My current bike is running well enough, but a little less grunt than I'd like. Thinking of tearing this down, replacing what doesn't meet muster and upgrading the piston compression and bore and the cam... I'll know better when I see what the bottom looks like. Figure I better split the case and see what the crank and rod bearings look like, and the gear teeth as well. (maybe do the NX650 2nd gear upgrade while I'm in there. Never tore a motorcycle engine apart before, but have rebuilt several heavy diesel engines. How hard could it be?:smashpc:[

one of the eaisest motors i ever worked on

Looks pretty straight forward. Picked up a manual and haven't seen anything that scared me yet....

How's the small end of the rod?

Amazingly enough, the small end of the rod (and the wrist pin it rode on) look fine! I've been in touch with CW about boring it out 1 size and working the head. Still have to pull the bottom apart to see what the crank and lower rod bearings look like, but so far am very encouraged!👍