Sign in to follow this  

Broken femur

I broke my left femur bone in the middle when i was 14, I'm now 21, when i was 14 i was in traction for 7 months! and crutches for 3 months with a big brace. turned15, started walking... and doing motocross, apparently my leg had slipped and it was 2 inch short.:smashpc:. so they stopped my other whole leg growing so the time i would reach 18 they would level out. which they have sort of, still a little difference. I'm going to get back into motocross very soon and start racing again!, any one think if i brake again it will be even worse? ... and the bad thing was it wasn't even my fault, some one come across in the air about 25 ft in the air in a race ...

i'm guessing not, if he was in traction for months. I don't know if that's cuz he was young and still growing, or if that's because british orthopedic surgery is still in the dark ages.

what i dont get is instead of fixing the issue with bone stretching they used a growth stunt technique for the opposite leg...heck why didn't they just amputate...

The UK is the land of the "Stiff upper lip" Here we would have rodded the broken femur from the get go, and if a bone healed short, we would have lengthened it rather that stopping the other side from growing.

The worst of it is that the person is left with relatively short legs and long arms like a gorilla (no offence meant to our staunch allies)

Thank you for you reply ,Hello yes i am from England and they left me in traction for it to heal naturally. i see the x rays, and the bones healed like side by side, not lined up, if i broke the same femur again could it become even worse:S? thanks

you think if i broke my leg today, you would be able to insert a rod into my femur?.. i think the doctor said after time the big ball of bone callus would level out into a normal bone shape? is that correct? if so they would be able to insert a rod? if my femur is healed side by side then how would they be able to insert a rod:S there is an option to have rods through your bones, but they my said mine would end up better and more stronger... hmmm