Sign in to follow this  

Looks like I need new valve seats and guides on my XR600r

She is smoking pretty bad on start up when especially when cold. 1994 vintage so probably valve seats and stem guides. What should I expect from a cost potential from a local bike shop? Any other items to do while "they" are in there?

Bill in TN :smashpc:

Does the smoke clear up completely when the engine warms up?

yeah pretty much clears up. Smokes a lot for the first 2 ro 3 minutes. It just started it 2 rides ago.

Is it possible that it is overfilled with oil? Easy to do if you are not familiar with the oil check procedure. Smoke that clears up is probably worn valve stem seals. If the smoke continues, oil is getting past the piston rings.

I check oil after it warms up and it seems ok. I'll check again this weekend.

Started her up over the weekend, checked the oil and it was good. ALso, I let her warm up before any throttle and NO smoking. Did it twice and no smoking. As a 94, I am sure the top end is showing some age and would letting it warm up before using the throttle help prevent getting oil past the valves?

Bill

Since the startup smoke disappears, if the oil level is not going down, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you do decide to have seats re-cut it isn't too expensive. I took my head into the local Honda dealer and had it done in a week for $85