Sign in to follow this  

A real effort by Yamaha

I doubt any of the top tier teams will be doing anything too crazy.

They have a lot of time and money invested in developing the bikes in 250 and 450cc.

Changing the displacement without developing specifi ports, cams, ignition curves, jetting / EFI maps, gear ratios, etc at their level will probably be a step backward. Not to mention the untested reliability issues.

I think some of the 2nd or 3rd tier riders are likely to show up on the unconventional stuff. Like a ~500cc from a 450F or ~300cc from a 250F. Most of the real privateers don't have the extra money to throw into a custom engine for one race though.

I'm not trying to be Negative-Nancy, but that's what I expect to see. I'd love to see a factory big bore, or a two stroke with a top level rider (say top 5 or 10), but I don't think it will happen.

Would be sweet but I'm with cwtoyota. All the good riders are contracted to ride for their brand right? And those companies are still trying to sell bikes, so why would they build some crazy awesome machine they will never sell.

I'm not trying to be Negative-Nancy, but that's what I expect to see. .

Neither am I, but I also know that a real world market would be interested.

I seem to see guys running sand and desert all over the world, such a natural choice.

Technology is out there to have computer controls on the bike with GPS, so the bike knows where it is on the track, how fast it's really moving and accelerating (so as not to be confused by roost or front wheel slipping or being in the air) and can behave optimally. Traction control optimized with feedback loops for acceleration with some good terrain inputs in advance, etc. Injected CR500 AF with current works chassis and full bells-and-whistles traction control would be amazing. Lot more likely to happen with a 4T, though. Don't know if a mini-turbo 4T would have the response for m/sx, but it would be cool - might be more of a dune thing.

It would be fun to see somebody trot out some sort of injected two stroke.

Or maybe some really trick two stroke twin that really sings. You could traction control the begeezers out of a two stroke twin. Then just give the rider and insane button for when he wants to bypass the system.

Maico still makes some massive smokers. They list a 500cc, 620cc and 700cc on their website. They look pretty trick but I know the prices are a bag or two of pretty pennies.

Maico 2010 Catalog

I go the the Maico site regularly to check on the 2011s. You get "Coming Soon". They better hurry. They could already easily call them 2012s.

I dont think you'd see any of these whiny punks that ride today that could handle a CR500af or something radical. Wasn't there talk about switching to a 350 class, because the 450's make too much power?

It would take a real man to jump on one of those, and put it through the paces. To me, Ricky Carmichael is about the only guy i would think could harness a big bore two stroke on a modern day frame, and he's obviously retired, and i'm sure out of shape. Maybe James Stewart? He'd probably just get hurt even worse than usual. Like over jump a triple and end up in the stands or something.

They said that dirt bike sales are down another 17 percent. I believe we are lucky to be able to buy anything.

They said that dirt bike sales are down another 17 percent. I believe we are lucky to be able to buy anything.

I agree, but what can you expect when you can go buy a car for the same price of a new bike.

Most arent as fortunate as we are on the forum... when I was a kid I always had bikes that were bought by mom and dad. Alot of parents have trouble keeping thier house let alone go buy thier kid a bike.

Thats where I feel the biggest drop off in bike sales come from... at least judging by the local races. Not many youngsters racing like there was when I was growing up.

All I can say is that Yamaha better do something to show us an attempt to keep up with KTM or Yz sales might suffer further!

I agree, but what can you expect when you can go buy a car for the same price of a new bike.

Most arent as fortunate as we are on the forum... when I was a kid I always had bikes that were bought by mom and dad. Alot of parents have trouble keeping thier house let alone go buy thier kid a bike.

Thats where I feel the biggest drop off in bike sales come from... at least judging by the local races. Not many youngsters racing like there was when I was growing up.

All I can say is that Yamaha better do something to show us an attempt to keep up with KTM or Yz sales might suffer further!

I cannot believe that a modern 4stroke motocrosser is like $8500. You can almost buy a crotch rocket for that much. It's also absurd that a 2012 YZ250 is like $7100. They've only been using the same basic tooling for like 10 years now.

I bought a Used 2008 Concours 14 from my local Kawi/Yamaha dealer. 7699.00 with 2800 miles on it. Tons of accessories too. So retail prices are high, and resale prices suck. Nothign new there.

But list prices? My local dealer has 2011 yz 450f's for 6499.00 plus fees. I dont know how real those list prices are anyway.

I wish somewhere in the past we woudl have all realized what was important. As fun as it is to ride the latest and greatest machine...you know the one. The bike that weighs 1.3 lbs less than last year and makes .4 more hp. I'm as bad as anyone for this, but there are people on the forum who "get it".

To be honest, I bought a "dirtbike" from Yamaha, that was designed for supercross. Thats not very smart when KTM makes what I need without spending an extra cent.

When I bought my 2010 YZ250 brand new 1 year ago, I could have had a brand new YZ450F for less money out the door.

When I bought my 2010 YZ250 brand new 1 year ago, I could have had a brand new YZ450F for less money out the door.

This is what happened to me. I was looking at used bikes, and there's a brand new 450 sitting there for 800 more. It was a no brainer..