Sign in to follow this  

Stock speedo/odometer vs. Trail Tech Vapor

Looking for some advice. I recently had an argument with a tree during my trail riding trip in Colorado and the result was a destroyed stock speedo on my 2006 450 EXC-G Racing. :smashpc:

I was going to just order a new OEM replacement, but heard about the Trail Tech Vapor. I run a GPS and bark busters and don't really want to add a lot of extra equipment up front.

Is this trail tech worth looking at or should I just go with OEM again? Does the Vapor take up a lot of extra room and look bulky? Does anyboday have a picture of one on an EXC?

Thanks for any and all advice!

If you plan to do any dual sports or use a roll chart, you might want to consider the Vector. Better options for this type of riding. I personally like the temp option on the trail tech. Especially for the EXC that tends to run hot.

• Like 1

I fitted the Trailtech Vapour when I went for the 17" Motard mod as the Australian KTM speedo won't allow for wheel diameter changes. Went back to the standard KTM when I got rid of the Motard wheels but it cracked & let water in & caput! Put the Vapour back on as the genuine one was too expensive but I haven't bothered to refit the temp line or the tacho & only use it to see how terrifyingly fast I am going down the single tracks & also as an hour meter for service intervals. One thing I would mention is I have had two Trailtech products & a mate has had two & all develop radius cracks around the fascia plastic. At this stage hasn't allowed water in but I am keeping an eye on it. Otherwise all is good with the unit but as mentione din another PM I would go for the Trailtech GPS unit.

• Like 1

I have an 03 450EXC. I have a Trailtech Vapor that I bought for a supermoto but never installed. My stock KTM unit is starting to crap out, even with fresh battery it is still functioning intermittently.

Any thoughts on Vapor versus stock unit. I've heard the replacement stocker is expensive, and I would like the addition of a temp monitor and backlighting.

Trail GPS would be nice, but I am considering a stand alone unit, as I have found that devices that try to do everything, usually don't function as well as intended. I also don't like to have to toggle through multiple functions for different operations, thus I prefer stand alone systems and don't mind the cockpit crowded with electronics. Can fabricate mounts as needed.

Thanks for your input.

Looking for some advice. I recently had an argument with a tree during my trail riding trip in Colorado and the result was a destroyed stock speedo on my 2006 450 EXC-G Racing. :banghead:

I was going to just order a new OEM replacement, but heard about the Trail Tech Vapor. I run a GPS and bark busters and don't really want to add a lot of extra equipment up front.

Is this trail tech worth looking at or should I just go with OEM again? Does the Vapor take up a lot of extra room and look bulky? Does anyboday have a picture of one on an EXC?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Colorado Trees are very friendly toward Texans! lol 

The Trail Tech GPS unit sucks. Just get the most basic trail tech unit you can. Someone else in here said that a device that tries to do every thing, ends up doing nothing very well.

Colorado Trees are very friendly toward Texans! lol

The Trail Tech GPS unit sucks. Just get the most basic trail tech unit you can. Someone else in here said that a device that tries to do every thing, ends up doing nothing very well.

I have a Voyager on my 450 and it works very well. I will say as a GPS it is not as feature rich as the handheld more expensive units that allow you to load topo maps but if your just interested in recording tracks, using previously created GPS files, or just want to find your way back to a specific spot it works great. Not to mention the voyager gives you engine temp, altitude, tach, mph, compass and some good trip data.

Trial Tech electronic products are crappy at best.  They are of poor quality and cheaply made in China.  I went through three Endurance computers before I got a clue.  I guess I am in that smart.  Buy a good quality GPS that you can download the roll charts.