Sign in to follow this  

250 Four strokes

Im in need of some help. I currently ride a 2006 crf150f that I am selling to get a bigger bike. At first I thought about getting a 125 two stroke but now I want a 250 four stroke. I bleed red so Honda would be my preference. All I do is trail ride right now. Should I get the crf250x or crf250r? I have to pay for it myself so it needs to be reliable, not have a lot of valve Problems, and last as long as possible.

- I'm 15 years old, 5'10, and 130 lbs

- I am an experienced rider

I know the earlier 250R's have valve troubles, not sure about the X's. Normally I would suggest a 125 2T for people just starting out in moto but since you're just trail riding just about any 250 four stroke will do. Don't count out the 230's either. You could get a nice, reliable Honda 230 for fairly cheap.

Thanks for the reply. The thing i dont like about the 230s are their weight and power. They seem to weigh a ton and the power might get old pretty quick.

The mid 2000 CRF250...X or R are notorious for valve issues. Yamaha makes a better 250 4t, but Im not a fan of 250Fs in general. IMO, the 250F was/is a very cleaver way for the companies to make alot of money on parts. As mentioned, I would recommend a 125 MX bike...unless you are riding trails.

I agree that they are money pits. I just don't know what to upgrade to. I've heard of people using 125 smokers for woods. What do you think I should get. I'm open to all brands now.

I think that you should consider a KTM200 for trail riding. Lightweight yet good bottom end power for offroad riding.

ive thought about a ktm 200. but i havent seen one for sale in my area for the past year. the most i can spend is 2300

all the 250f are great bikes, i would buy newer then 05 06 if possible, i dont like yamahas theres a reason why at the track you see all kawis and hondas and a couple rmzs and newer ktms more and more, in a blue moon ill see a yz250f. i like kawis, then ktm, then honda, suzuki, wouldnt buy a yamaha. i dont know about pricing in ur area, my bike i got cheap for its condition for 2400 and its an 07, alot of 07 kawis and hondas around here are 25-2900. u could prob get a good 07 for 2300 if u look

i can get an 05 crf250r with 2008 head, gaskets, springs, valves, and piston for 2500 right now maybe lower.

go ktm, they may be a little more expensive but you get what you pay for, i have a 08 250sxf and its got 120 hrs on it and only just rebuild it at 105hrs, and the piston was still good, but the rings were worn, the valves were checked every 30-40hrs and never needed adjusting and it starts first or second kick all the time.

go ktm, they may be a little more expensive but you get what you pay for, i have a 08 250sxf and its got 120 hrs on it and only just rebuild it at 105hrs, and the piston was still good, but the rings were worn, the valves were checked every 30-40hrs and never needed adjusting and it starts first or second kick all the time.

A rebuild at 120 hours???? Our RMZ290 with 240 hours of open A class and I'm just now going to rebuild it...

A rebuild at 120 hours???? Our RMZ290 with 240 hours of open A class and I'm just now going to rebuild it...

yeah, only replaced the piston and rings, abit of oil started to come out of the crankcase breather tube, and thats a sign of worn rings so i just replaced the lot, probably could have just put a new set of rings, the engine had never been opened up before

my 07 kx had 5 hours on it when i got it, ive put just about 110 hours on havnt needed to do anything checked the valves and one was close to needing to get adjusted so did it, all iv had for work in the engine.

That's sarcasm right?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your young, and clearly only have so much to spend on a bike. 2300 will get you a 2006-2007 250f, and sadly a 250f that old is going to be an absolute money pit. ESPECIALLy a honda in the 05-07 years, their valves were the WORST then and they are still not great today. Reliability wise the yamaha is the way to go, but you're going to see the result from that as they are relatively slow compared to all the others. Go buy a 125 and have fun, Really. I'm selling a MINT 05 125 right now thats all original except the piston and tires that I bought from the original owner (with original piston and tires I changed the top end for piece of mind it didnt even need it and the tires were still pretty tall but getting old and drying out). I'm asking 1750, just to give you an idea of what you could expect to pay for an 05 area 125. I own a 2011 kx 250f and the 125, and if I was riding woods It'd be on the 125. Even on rough tracks at the end of the day I prefer the 125 because its much lighter. Go get yourself a 125 and you'll never look back.

2007-2009 suzuki RM-Z 250. Im rebuilding my 2007 for the first time this winter and it has about 150 hours on it. Valves havent been touched since new and are still good. I have 3 buddys with hondas. The first one had a 2006 CRF250R and got sick of the problems and sold it. Second one has a 2009 250R and has rebuilt it twice and had multiple valve issues. Third one has a 2007 250X and not a single issue. Iv always liked Honda but im not to sure about the 250R's. i came close to buying a 2006 250R. Im very happy i didnt. I ride my zuke on trails and track and it is amasing for both.